GFOA’s Research and Consulting Center (RCC) provides consulting services to state and local governments, conduct ongoing research on many financial management topics, produce the organization’s bi-monthly publication, Government Finance Review, and support many of GFOA’s training, conference, publications, and best practices committees. GFOA consulting services focus on business process improvement (Lean Government), long-term financial planning, budgeting, and planning and procurement assistance for technology projects.
GFOA’s RCC Internship Program
RCC is accepting applications for its Internship Program. The internship is to last a minimum of 10 weeks, with a flexible end date. Interns are expected to work between 20 and 30 hours per week in GFOA’s Chicago office.
This position provides interns with networking opportunities with local government leaders as well as opportunities to research pressing public finance issues affecting local governments. During the program, interns may work in one or more of the following areas:
- public policy analysis;
- financial indicator analysis;
- revenue forecasting;
- school budgeting;
- debt administration; and
- public-sector transparency.
GFOA is willing to working with prospective interns to identify relevant topics and assignments to assist in each intern’s career development.
Intern responsibilities will depend on specific needs of projects that are being undertaken but will likely include gathering and analyzing research information on local governments and preparing informational materials for GFOA members and clients. Interns will also assist with social media content and other activities to support the organization.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Currently enrolled in an advanced degree program in public affairs/policy/administration or a related field
- Strong interest in a career in the public sector or issues facing the public sector
- Ability to lead project teams
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills/ability to work effectively in small teams
- Ability to work independently or with minimal supervision
- Critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Excellent organizational skills/ability to prioritize tasks
$15-20 per hour. The internship position is part-time and not eligible for benefits.
To apply, applicants should submit a resume, writing sample, and cover letter to Mike Mucha (email@example.com).
Director, Research and Consulting Center, GFOA
203 N. LaSalle Street, Suite 2700
Chicago, IL 60601
GFOA is an equal opportunity employer.