This course is designed for new and intermediate analysts or others new to government looking to gain important budgeting skills and improve their understanding of the public-sector budget process and budgeting best practices.
This intensive three and a half day program is designed to provide participants with the necessary knowledge and skills to understand, impact, and improve the public-sector budgeting process. Knowledge gained in the academy will improve participants analytical, problem-solving, and communication abilities, and help them lead their organizations in making better use of resources.
- Understand the public-sector budget process including budget preparation, budget adoption, and budget administration
- Understand the role of key stakeholders in the budget process
- Recognize the importance of overall alignment of the budget to focus resources on community needs
- Develop skills for long-term financial planning
- Learn how to develop and work with performance measures
- Become familiar with the link between the budget and basic accounting principles
- Understand key components of an effective budget process, including public participation, revenue forecasting, , prioritization, performance measures and service levels
- Understand how capital planning, position budgeting, and salary forecasting relate to the budget preparation process
- Hear what technologies are available for budget preparation
- Learn techniques for effective communication of budget and performance information
- Become familiar with tools and techniques used by governments to improve efficiency and effectiveness of services