The Government Finance Officers Association's Federal Liaison Center in Washington, DC is looking for a dynamic, bright and experienced full-time Federal Policy Associate to join our team. Primary duties of this position include legislative and regulatory advocacy on behalf of our members in the areas of public finance related to tax reform, internet sales tax legislation, transportation and other public facilities infrastructure. The ideal candidate should have experience in working in at least one of these areas. Exceptional writing, coalition building and interpersonal skills are desired.
The GFOA is the premier association of public-sector finance professionals, representing over 19,000 state/provincial and local finance officers in the United States and Canada.
- Lead GFOA’s coalition and grassroots advocacy efforts on the transportation and other public facilities infrastructure matters, including the budget and appropriations process (Department of Transportation/Commerce Department) as well as EPA issues
- Support Federal Liaison Center Director on legislative and regulatory advocacy related to tax reform, federal appropriations and budget legislation.
- Staff GFOA’s Committee on Retirement and Benefits Administration and Women’s Public Finance Network and Black Caucus, and staff the GFOA’s annual conference and winter meeting.
- Assist with efforts to update the Federal Government Relations page on the GFOA website including Communications efforts such as e-communication and podcasts, social media, etc.
- Assist Director with tracking and updating GFOA membership on other important issue areas including: appropriations, banking, and national infrastructure improvement and development. Work with other GFOA staff on priority association projects, as needed.
- Attending legislative/regulatory hearings and other meetings as GFOA representative as well as coalition efforts of the Federal Liaison, focusing on partnerships of infrastructure/transportation matters
Qualifications and Experience
- Working knowledge of federal legislative and regulatory process preferred.
- Strong research and writing skills.
- Ability to simultaneously manage and prioritize many tasks and communicate effectively.
- A positive, team-oriented attitude and ability to work in a deadline-driven environment.
- Understanding of the impact of federal legislation and regulation on state and local governments.
Please send resumes to: Kathryn Williams at firstname.lastname@example.org