PURPOSE OF THE POSITION: The Senior Accountant supports District Management by providing accounting/technical support to District management, participates in the month end close process, and monitors monthly financial transactions.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. In addition to the requirements listed below, regular attendance is an essential function of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
- Ensures that all actions are in concert with the Board policies as well as the mission statement, beliefs, objectives and parameters found in the Board’s strategic plan.
- Carries out such additional duties as required or as conditions necessitate.
- Participates in job training and professional growth opportunities in order to enhance ability to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Performs other related duties as assigned for the purpose of ensuring an efficient and effective work environment.
- Creates month-end journal entries, gathering appropriate data and calculations
- Reconciles balance sheet accounts
- Assist on monthly financial statements and Comprehensive Annual Financial
- Tracks all fixed assets of the District
- Assist Senior Financial Technician with monthly bank reconciliations, as needed.
- Participate in the District’s year-end closing and audit activities through preparation of required schedules and procedures, to ensure timeliness of closing the District’s financial records.
- Assist Executive Director of Budget with District-wide budget maintenance.
- Participate in monthly analysis of actual year-to-date financial results to budget and preparation of current forecast.
- Investigate, recommend, and implement innovative, more efficient ways to accomplish accounting and financial activities within the District.
- All other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS: Bachelor’s Degree in accounting required, with increasing responsibilities involving working knowledge of GAAP (Generally Accepted Accounting Principles), preparation of financial statements, and Financial Software system.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES: This position requires specific knowledge and skills relating to accounting duties and responsibilities identified above. Excellent communication skills are essential in order to convey financial and budgetary information to all levels of District staff and management.
Technical skills required include mastery of spreadsheet software.
Personal skills required include the ability to work on multiple tasks, the ability to focus on completion of a project, and the ability to demonstrate creative and innovative problem-solving skills in addressing financial issues in an environment with limited resources.