TASK FORCE: Accounting Services and Internal Audit
JOB TITLE: One (1) Assistant Director
CONTROL CODE: AIA-18-01
JOB ID: 311227
The Mayor’s Office of Management and Budget (OMB) is the City government's chief financial agency. OMB's staff of analysts and experts assembles and oversees the Mayor’s expense and capital budgets, which fund the services and activities of more than 70 City agencies. New York City’s budget is statutorily required to be balanced in accordance with governmental Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
Within OMB, the Accounting Services and Internal Audit Task Force is responsible for monitoring changes to GAAP, and providing advice on its interpretation and application. In conjunction with the City Comptroller’s Office and the Mayor’s Office of Operations, this task force coordinates the annual audits of the City’s financial statements and Federal programs, in addition to the internal audits of OMB. The Task Force is also involved in the negotiation of grant overhead and fringe benefit reimbursement rates with the Federal government, as well as other cost accounting/cost allocation work and provides accounting and audit-related advice to other City and City-related entities.
The duties of this position include the following activities:
- Guide OMB personnel in the proper interpretation and application of GAAP. Monitor governmental GAAP and audit standards, as determined by the Governmental Accounting Standards Board.
- Work with the City Comptroller's Office, Mayor's Office of Operations (“Ops”), and auditors to facilitate auditors’ receipt of necessary information, documentation and access to City personnel, and ensure coherent responses to audit inquiries and findings.
- Review financial statements, audit reports and auditors’ management letters for issues of concern. In addition, act as the Mayoral designee to the NYC Audit Committee.
- Maintain communication with OMB staff on matters pertaining to accounting, reporting, and auditing.
- Review engagement and management representation letters to be signed by City officials; coordinate the drafting and receipt of agency representation letters to OMB, Comptroller and Ops which are relied on for Citywide representations.
- Work closely with the City Comptroller to facilitate the annual close process.
- Supervise and review the calculation of the Inter-fund Agreement (“IFA”) rate used to charge capital projects for the time and costs of City employees work on those projects.
- Supervise, review, and negotiate the calculation of the Federal Fixed Central Service Cost Allocation Plan, Federal Fixed fringe benefit rates, agency and Citywide Indirect Cost calculations used in claiming for Federal and other grants as well as for fee setting and other purposes.
- Liaise with City Comptroller’s Office on technical accounting and auditing matters. Assist OMB taskforces, City agencies and other personnel in communicating with the Comptroller’s Office.
- Coordinate responses to Accounting and Internal Control Directives issued by the Comptroller’s Office.
- Manage and plan the work of OMB’s Internal Audit Unit.
- Manage consulting contracts for Accounting Consulting Services and Internal Audit. Facilitate the competitive procurement of contracts every three years.
- Demonstrated knowledge of state and local government accounting and auditing, including an operative understanding of GASB standards and concepts both in theory and in practice.
- Expertise in financial statement creation, cost accounting, Federal grant standards and reporting requirements, contract management, and financial statement and internal audit experience is required.
- CPAs are preferred.
- Exceptional organizational, research, and analytic skills.
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills, including public speaking and presentation.
- Must possess the ability to manage multiple, often-competing priorities, and supervise staff effectively to ensure properly skilled individuals are assigned to and satisfy specific needs.
- Proficiency with MS Excel and MS Word is required; and familiarity with MS Access is strongly preferred.
- Must be a self-motivator and be able to motivate others.
- Must be able to work late nights and weekends, as needed
Assistant Director ($131,969) Bachelor's degree and a minimum of six years of full-time experience in governmental accounting or auditing; or a Master's in Accounting, or similar degree, and a minimum of five years of full-time experience in governmental accounting or auditing. Applicants must also possess at least three years of supervisory experience.
OMB offers a generous benefits package, including paid and/or accrued compensatory time.
HOW TO APPLY:
• Submit your resumes and cover letter.
• Include the control code on the upper right hand corner of your resumes and/or cover letter.
• Forward your application materials to:
The City of New York
Mayor’s Office of Management & Budget
255 Greenwich Street – 8th Floor
New York, NY 10007
THE MAYORS OFFICE OF MANAGEMENT & BUDGET AND THE CITY OF NEW YORK ARE EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYERS
You must be a New York City resident within 90 days of the date of appointment and you must be legally eligible to work in the United States.