A career with the Office of Budget & Strategic Planning puts you on a rich and rewarding professional path. As an Office of Budget and Strategic Planning employee, you will gain a unique perspective of local government management, with a high-level perspective of the broad spectrum of work undertaken each day to ensure a safe, healthy, and thriving city. The annual budget is the most significant policy document that the city produces. Our department takes this duty seriously, working to ensure that the city is efficient, delivers the right services at the right cost, provides excellent core services, and meets citizen expectations when it comes to technology and modernization. Outside of budget season, Budget & Policy Analysts get the chance to provide analytical support to department directors and the City Manager's Office and to identify solutions to the most pressing policy issues facing the city.
- Evaluates department budget requests and recommends budget adjustments based on historical financial research and comparison, resulting in detailed analysis and written communication to senior management;
- Builds rewarding relationships with departments to assist with problem solving and process improvement;
- Identifies and resolves budget problems for departments;
- Informs appropriate staff about budget inefficiencies and works with them on the installation, maintenance, and review of proper budgetary controls;
- Completes analyses or special projects on issues such as local impact of a state or federal mandate;
- Coordinates the preparation of the detailed budget documents through other employees, divisions and departments;
- Reviews all changes to a department's budget and staffing level and prepares a written recommendation detailing how proposed changes satisfy City priorities;
- Uses multiple financial systems and databases to prepare comprehensive technical reports showing the status and projected impact of expenditures and revenues for City departments;
- Develops and presents policy analysis to senior management using robust data analysis and visualization techniques and;
- Performs other duties as needed.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of budgeting policies, procedures and methodologies;
- Thorough knowledge of evaluation techniques relating to service delivery and program performance measurements;
- Considerable analytical and decision-making skills;
- Excellent verbal and written communication.