The Office of the Treasurer at Dayton Public Schools is currently recruiting for the position of Payroll Director. This is an administrative position with full responsibility for directing and overseeing all aspects of the District’s payroll activities including payroll processes, procedures, operations, taxes and finance demands regarding payroll payments. The incumbent will design short-term and long-term strategies for continuous improvement in all payroll operations relying on previous experience and sound judgment. Must be familiar with a variety of the field's concepts, practices, and procedures to plan and accomplish goals. This position reports directly to the Assistant Treasurer and supervises an Associate Directors of Payroll and Payroll Clerks.
Salary Range: $85,000 – $91,535
- Oversees the processing and implementation of payroll to include but not limited to: Ø Establish internal controls to ensure accurate and timely payroll processing Ø Assume responsibility for operation and maintenance of the District's payroll application within the human resources management system Ø Direct and evaluate payroll department operations and staff Ø Submit periodic payments and reports to local, state and federal agencies Ø Process and submit periodic direct deposit, taxes, retirement and insurances Ø Provide systems analysis and verifies accuracy of data and revising any errors Ø Participate in policy and procedure development, modification, implementation, and maintenance Ø Read, interpret, and explain rules, regulations, and policies regarding payroll, plan documents and labor agreements Ø Assist with negotiations salary cost research, analysis and projections Ø Train and advises central office and building administrators in treasurer office policies, computer enhancements, and district policies Ø Works cooperatively and maintains communication with other departments and external stakeholders to resolve problems and exchange information Ø Performs other duties as assigned by the Assistant Treasurer and/or Treasurer/CFO
- Bachelor's Degree in accounting, business or related field preferred.
- 3-5 years of experience in a payroll manager and/or payroll director positions.
- 10 years of payroll experience with progressive growth in accountability and responsibility.
- Demonstrated supervisory experience to effectively manage the daily operations and administration of assigned function(s).
- Demonstrated knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
- Interpersonal skills necessary to effectively communicate, orally and in written form, with District staff, internal and external stakeholders, and others in the exchange of information.
- Computer skills necessary to effectively manage and operate the District's payroll/human resource management software applications.
- Analytical ability and mathematical aptitude to perform a variety of payroll/benefit tasks and resolve discrepancies as necessary.
- Ability to prioritize, provide guidance, training and review of the work of assigned staff.
- Ability to mentally handle pressure related to meeting deadlines and working on tasks requiring accuracy and attention to detail.
- Interpreting and implementing tax regulations and plan documents.