Best Practices in Performance Management - January 14-15, 2013
Course level: Intermediate
CPE credits: 16
Time: 2 days, 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
Who Will Benefit:
This course is designed for public-sector managers looking to take advantage of performance management as a tool to improve results, drive increased efficiencies, and manage both financial and human capital resources throughout the organization. Focus will be on tactics and best practices involved with successful performance management implementations from state and local government.
This program will focus on best practices examples and techniques for planning, budgeting, management, and evaluation that utilize principles of performance management. In addition, instructors will cover best practices for developing measures, and communication through reports, Web sites, and other media so that information is understood and used most effectively. The course will follow recommendations from the National Performance Management Advisory Commission.
Those who successfully complete this seminar should be able to:
- Learn how to manage a performance management system including facilitating an outcome focus at all levels of the organization
- Learn tips and effective strategies for applying performance management principles to major governmental processes:
- Develop strategic plans that establish organizational priorities
- Manage a priority-based budget process
- Link funding to results
- Develop performance measures at different levels in the organization
- Understand how different measures serve different purposes
- Learn how organizations have adopted common performance management systems such as stat systems, balanced scorecard, etc., to improve results
- Identify techniques for motivating employees through performance management
- Reporting and Evaluation
- Learn techniques for effective communication of performance information.
- Understand how evaluation can be used to understand what factors impact achievement of results
- The State and Local Government Performance Management Sourcebook
- A Performance Management Framework for State and Local Government: From Measurement and Reporting to Management and Improving
GFOA member: $370 Nonmember: $550