Basics and the New Practices for Investing Public Funds: July 24-25, 2013
Course level: Basic
CPE credits: 16
Time: 2 days, 9:00 am – 5:00 pm (both days)
Who Will Benefit
Public-sector financial managers and staff who are new to public-sector investment.
Participants will learn basic tools and techniques for effectively managing short-term investment portfolios. The latest investment strategies and instruments will be highlighted, including an overview of how GFOA Treasury and Investment Management best practices should be applied as part of your jurisdiction’s portfolio approach. Attendees will learn about creating an investment policy, managing market risk in portfolios, assessing and reporting performance, government relationships with securities dealers, and how to select a financial advisor.
- Understand money markets and interest rates
- Evaluate and adopt sound investment policies
- Assess and use an array of investment instruments
- Determine your jurisdiction’s investment horizon
- Evaluate and use external money managers
- Develop and exercise short-term strategies
- Track and report on investments and investment earnings
- Implement performance benchmarks
GFOA member: $580 Nonmember $790