Preparing a CAFR: November 19, 2013
Prerequisite: Intermediate Governmental Accounting or equivalent
Course level: Intermediate
CPE credits: 8
Time: 1 day, 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Who Will Benefit
Accounting and financial reporting professionals who have prepared, or wish to be able to prepare, a comprehensive annual financial report (CAFR).
Participants will examine the format and contents of a CAFR prepared in accordance with both generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) and the program requirements of the Government Finance Officers Association’s (GFOA) Certificate of Achievement for Excellence in Financial Reporting Program.
Note: This program is an abbreviated form of the GFOA’s two and one-half day seminar on Advanced Financial Reporting.
Those who successfully complete the seminar should be able to:
- Identify the three basic sections of a CAFR and the essential components of each
- Identify the basic elements of a letter of transmittal
- Identify the appropriate elements to include in management’s discussion and analysis
- Identify each of the basic financial statements and their essential elements
- Identify combining and individual fund statements and their essential elements
- Identify required supplementary information
- Identify key note disclosure requirements, especially those commonly misapplied in practice
- Identify all required statistical presentations
Note: It is recommended that attendees bring a copy of the GFOA’s Governmental Accounting, Auditing, and Financial Reporting (GAAFR or the "Blue Book"), to the seminar with them.
Registration Fees: GFOA member: $370 Nonmember: $550