Types of Debt Instruments and Understanding Refundings - February 13, 2014
Fundamentals of Debt Series
Course level: Basic
CPE credits: 2
Time: 2:00 – 4:00 p.m. (Eastern)
Who Will Benefit
Finance staff, new chief financial officers, and those who are responsible for their entity’s debt management.
Participants will be provided with the tools and techniques needed to understand issuing and managing their jurisdiction’s debt.
Types of Debt Instruments and Understanding Refundings
An overview of the types of debt instruments available (tax-exempt/taxable; fixed/variable rate), pledging responsibilities, IRS regulations, and the use of market data will be addressed. Additionally, the course will review the opportunities for refunding, and how to determine when refunding makes the most economic sense.
- Develop a thorough understanding of the various debt instruments available to state and local governments
- Develop effective policy guidelines for debt management
- Bring awareness to using and hiring outside finance professionals
- Understand issuer disclosure responsibilities
- Get the most out of rating agency presentations
- Debt Issuance and Management: A Guide for Smaller Governments
- An Elected Official’s Guide: Debt Issuance, second edition
- A Guide for Preparing a Debt Policy
- Tax-Exempt Financing: A Primer, revised edition
- Benchmarking and Measuring Debt Capacity (GFOA Budgeting Series, Vol. 1)
Registration Fees - GFOA member: $85 Nonmember: $160