Advanced Performance Budgeting: In-Depth Tools and Methods Training: January 15-16, 2014
Prerequisites: Concepts in Performance Budgeting
Course level: Advanced
CPE credits: 16
Time: 9:00 am – 5:00 pm (both days)
Who Will Benefit
This session is designed for budget managers and analysts who are already familiar with the basic concepts of performance measurement and performance budgeting who want to gain more skills and knowledge about various forms of performance budgeting and how to use associated tools and practices. It will provide in-depth coverage of topics introduced in the Concepts in Performance Budgeting course.
This hands-on course will combine lecture and audience participation to give participants experience using performance budgeting practices and tools. It assumes that participants will have basic knowledge of performance measurement and budgeting. Trainers will walk participants through a variety of topics, including methods for integrating strategic planning and budgeting; effective approaches to public participation and developing citizen-based goals and strategies; best practices for coaching departments to improve their budget requests and making them performance-driven; and how to help executives and elected officials move from a line-item, cost-driven focus to a value-based, results focus in budget decision-making. Trainers will also cover approaches to administering a performance-based budget.
- Participants will receive information and have the opportunity to practice performance-based tool and methods related to:
- Using public participation methods to create citizen-focused goals and measures
- Aligning budget preparation with strategies and goals developed in the planning process
- Working with departments to improve their use of outcome measures and develop performance-based budget requests
- Program costing and cross-walking program costs to funds and line items.
- Assisting executives and governing bodies to review budget proposals from a value and performance basis, incorporating performance measures in budget decision making.
- Performance budgeting monitoring and reporting methods.
- Revenue Analysis and Forecasting (GFOA Budgeting Series, Vol. 2)
- Priority-Setting Models for Public Budgeting (GFOA Budgeting Series, Vol. 4)
- Cost Analysis and Activity-Based Costing for Government (GFOA Budgeting Series, Vol. 6)
- A Performance Management Framework for State and Local Government: From Measurement and Reporting to Management and Improving, National Performance Management Advisory Commission, 2010, available at www.PMCommission.org or www.gfoa.org.
Price: $580 Active/Associate Member; $790 Nonmember