Reference Library | Economic Development
GFOA Recommended Practices
GFOA Publications & Products
Term Sheets and Development Agreements
Sample Illustrations & Policies
Leading Organizations & Web Sites
- International Economic Development Council (IEDC)
- The International Economic Development Council is a non-profit membership organization dedicated to helping economic developers do their job more effectively and raising the profile of the profession.
- National Development Council (NDC)
- The National Development Council is the oldest national non-profit community and economic development organization in the U.S. It was founded in 1969 with one purpose: increasing the flow of capital for investment, jobs, and community development to underserved urban and rural areas across the country.
- The Council for Community and Economic Research (ACCRA)
- ACCRA is a national organization representing community researchers. Its mission is “to promote excellence in community and economic research techniques by working to improve data quality and availability.” ACCRA produces the Cost of Living Index (COLI).
- Urban Land Institute (ULI)
- Founded in 1936, the Urban Land Institute has more than 25,000 members worldwide representing the entire spectrum of land use and real estate development disciplines. ULI’s mission is “to provide responsible leadership in the use of land to enhance the total environment.”
- Council of Development Finance Agencies (CDFA)
- The Council of Development Finance Agencies is a national association dedicated to the advancement of development finance concerns and interests. Members are state, county, and municipal development finance agencies and authorities that provide or otherwise support economic development financing programs, including tax-exempt and taxable bonds, credit enhancement programs, and direct debt and equity investments. Also represented are a variety of non-governmental and private organizations ranging from regional and large investment banks to commercial finance companies to bond counsel, bond insurers, trustees, venture capital companies, rating agencies, and other organizations interested in economic development finance.
- International City/County Management Association (ICMA)
- ICMA is the professional and educational organization for chief appointed managers, administrators, and assistants in cities, towns, counties, and regional entities throughout the world. Since 1914, ICMA has provided the local government community with technical and management assistance, training, and information resources on all facets of local government management, including economic development.
- National Association of Housing and Redevelopment Officers (NAHRO)
- The National Association of Housing and Redevelopment Officials is the leading housing and community development advocate for the provision of adequate and affordable housing and strong, viable communities for all Americans—particularly those with low- and moderate-incomes.