Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. What are the benefits of being a GFOA member?
A. Click here for more information.
2. How can I become a GFOA member?
A. Download the membership application form and send payments by check to: GFOA, 3076 Eagle Way, Chicago, IL 60678-1030, or by credit card, purchase order, mail, or fax to: GFOA, 203 North LaSalle Street, Suite 2700, Chicago, IL 60601-1210; Fax: 312-977-4806.
3. How do I renew my membership?
A. Include renewal form and send payments by check to: GFOA, 3076 Eagle Way, Chicago, IL 60678-1030, or by credit card, purchase order, mail, or fax to: GFOA, 203 North LaSalle Street, Suite 2700, Chicago, IL 60601-1210; Fax: 312-977-4806.
4. Is it possible to transfer my membership to a colleague?
A. Yes, only if the colleague is employed by the same agency where you currently work. Please send the transfer form by mail to: GFOA, 203 North LaSalle Street, Suite 2700, Chicago, IL 60601-1210; or fax: 312-977-4806.
5. I can't find the article mentioned in the GFOA Newsletter or Government Finance Review (GFR) magazine. Where should I look?
A. Not every Newsletter article is posted on the Web site. We only post selective highlights and special external hyperlinks. These past articles can be found on the Newsletter archive page. For Government Finance Review (GFR), only the lead article is posted in full. These past articles can be found on the GFR archive page.
6. How do I claim a missing issue from my subscription?
A. Please e-mail Subscriptions with your issue request. There is a six-month claim period for all subscriptions. The GFOA Newsletter and Treasury Management archive issues can be viewed by the subscriber electronically by logging into the GFOA e-Store.
7. I am NOT a GFOA member. Would I be able to buy GFOA products and sign up for national training?
A. Yes, you are able to buy GFOA products and sign up for training but you will be charged at the nonmember price.
8. I am a GFOA member. How can I update my profile (title, address, etc.)? How can I indicate an agency change?
A. You can update your profile via the e-Store. If you forget your username and password, or do not have them, please e-mail Logins.
For an agency change, download the membership application form, list the correct agency name, and fax to: GFOA at 312-977-4806. GFOA will contact you if additional payment is required.
9. How can I retrieve my username and password for the e-Store?
A. E-mail your name, jurisdiction, city, state, and membership number (if available) to Logins.
10. Can I order GFOA publications by phone?
A. No. Publications can be ordered only through the e-Store, mail, or by fax.
11. How can I apply for the scholarships?
A. GFOA Scholarships are offered annually. Applications are generally available in November and are due by mid-February of the following year. Click here for more information on the GFOA scholarship programs.
12. Where can I get information about the GFOA’s Certificate of Achievement for Excellence in Financial Reporting Program (CAFR Program)?
A. CAFR Program page
13. Where can I get information about the GFOA’s Distinguished Budget Presentation Awards Program?
A. Budget Program page
14. Where can I get information about the GFOA’s Awards Program for Popular Annual Financial Reporting (PAFR Program)?
A. PAFR Program page
15. Where can I get information about the GFOA’s Canadian Award for Excellence in Financial Reporting (CAnFR Program)?
A. CAnFR Program
16. How can I place a job posting classified advertisement in the GFOA Newsletter and on Web site?
A. Ads for the GFOA Newsletter and Web site are posted on the second and fourth Fridays of every month and follow this schedule. Complete and return the AD CONTENTS and INSERTION ORDER forms. All ads must be prepaid. See "Newsletter/Web Advertising FAQ" for more information on placing an employment ad.
17. How can I place an advertisement in GFOA publications?
A. GFOA accepts display ads for the Government Finance Review (GFR) magazine ONLY.
18. Why do I need a PDF Viewer and WinZip? And where can I download PDF Viewer and WinZip?
A. Most of the forms and documents located on this Web site are in PDF (Portable Document Format) format. In order to view these PDF forms, you need a PDF viewer. Click here to download a free PDF viewer. To make large files available for download, we use the WinZip program to compress the file. In order to decompress these files, you need a WinZip program. Click here to download a free WinZip program.
19. How do I rent the GFOA membership list?
A. We do allow for the purchase of labels that include GFOA member names and addresses. If you are interested in purchasing these labels, please review and follow the steps detailed in policies and procedures and order form.
20. I can’t find my answer here. What should I do?
A. E-mail Inquiries or call 312-977-9700 for further assistance.