Columbus, OH (Renaissance Columbus Downtown)
Experience working in a local government.
This course will focus on the finance or budget officers role in the overall capital planning and budgeting process. To meet the many challenges governments face in infrastructure and asset management, finance officers must have skills and knowledge necessary to coordinate the entire end-to-end capital planning process. This session will identify how to prepare an effective capital plan, including how to coordinate a jurisdictions process for identifying needs, determining appropriate service levels, and prioritizing projects. Also covered will be how to communicate effectively with operations staff, determining appropriate funding mechanisms, identifying opportunities for possible public-private partnerships, facilitating community outreach and participation, and linking capital plans with overall organizational goals, master plans, and community priorities.
- Identify key responsibilities of the finance office for facilitating an effective capital improvement planning process
- Learn how to take a proactive approach to identifying capital needs
- Learn how to communicate with operations staff
- Analyze approaches to selecting, timing, rating, and prioritizing capital projects
- Estimate and analyze capital projects
- Design a capital financing strategy
- Prepare a capital budget document that is consistent with long-term capital improvement plans
- Evaluate and monitor capital project expenditures