Charleston, SC (Hyatt Place/House)
Experience working in a local government.
This course is intended for elected officials, city/county managers, CEOs, finance officers, or other officials involved with thier government's strategic planning process.
The strategic planning process is important to identifying priorities, setting overall goals, defining key actions, and communicating to stakeholders. Once created, the strategic plan then becomes the foundation for many other activities, such as budgeting and financial planning. It is important, therefore, that the strategic plan be realistic, relevant, and connected to or aligned with other planning processes. When done correctly, strategic planning can be a invaluable tool for the finance officer. This seminar will cover how to develop and facilitate an effective strategic planning process that can be used to guide decision making. Attendees will learn practical techniques, including how to involve the correct stakeholders, properly evaluate opportunities and risks, develop goals, and track results.
After completing this course, participants will be able to:
- Understand the importance of strategic planning to public sector management
- Identify the relationship between strategic planning and budgeting
- Facilitate an effecitve strategic planning process
- Undersand important components of a strategic plan
- Define goals and performance metrics to use in strategic planning
- Communicate a strategic plan to key stakeholders