This session is intended for budget staff and others responsible for communicating the capital budget for a government.
After the capital budget or multi-year capital plan is adopted, governments should decide how to best present major capital program highlights in the operating budget document. An exceptional capital budget presentation enhances the transparency and accountability to citizens. It also provides context for stakeholders to understand major components of the capital budget and its relationship to the operating budget. GFOA has best practices that are concentrated on the development, implementation, and monitoring of the capital budget. This training will focus on how to best communicate the capital budget.
Those completing this seminar will be able to:
- Understand how to communicate capital budget information to the public more effectively
- Identify formats for effective communication of capital project information
- Utilize the web, project dashboards, and other online tools for communicating capital project information
- Develop a format for communicating both a multi-year capital budget presentation and long-term capital improvement plan
- Communicate how the capital budget relates to the operating budget document