Orlando, FL (DoubleTree by Hilton)
Past experience working for a school district and familiarly with budget process either from finance or academic/instructional perspective.
This seminar is designed for mid to senior level staff from school districts from both the academic and budget and finance areas who are involved in developing organizational strategic goals and/or allocating resources. In addition, school superintendents would benefit from the seminar, as would individuals from state boards of education and other education finance professionals and/or interest groups.
The two-day seminar will provide participants with the opportunity to acquire hands-on, practical implementation of GFOA’s best practices in school budgeting. The program is structured around the new best practices in school budgeting which include guidelines to develop a comprehensive budget process that fosters collaboration between academic and finance staff to develop strategic goals and allocate scarce resources accordingly. The end goal of the new budget process focuses on aligning these scarce resources to focus on optimizing student achievement. In addition to the best practices, tools from GFOA’s Smarter School Spending website will be highlighted and used as examples for participants to better understand and apply to their own budgets.
- Develop principles and policies to guide the budget process
- Learn how to develop SMARTER goals
- Develop root cause analysis to identify gap between current and desired performance
- Evaluate programs to determine their academic and financial impacts
- Develop a strategic financial plan
- Develop a budget document that clearly lays out the organization’s challenges and plans to address the challenges
- Learn how to incorporate continuous improvement practices into the new budget process