Newport Beach, CA (Hyatt Regency Newport Beach)
Accounting and financial reporting professionals with at least two years of experience, or who have attended the GFOA’s Intermediate Governmental Accounting seminar or an equivalent program.
Accounting and financial reporting professionals who have prepared, or wish to be able to prepare, a comprehensive annual financial report (CAFR).
Participants will examine in detail the format and contents of a CAFR prepared in accordance with both generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) and the program requirements of the Government Finance Officers Association’s (GFOA) Certificate of Achievement for Excellence in Financial Reporting Program
Note: This program is an expanded form of the GFOA’s one-day seminar on Preparing a CAFR.
Those who successfully complete the seminar should be able to:
- Identify the three basic sections of a CAFR and the essential components of each;
- Differentiate basic financial statements, required supplementary information, and other supplementary information within a CAFR;
- Identify the basic elements of a letter of transmittal;
- Identify the appropriate elements to include in management’s discussion and analysis;
- Format each of the basic financial statements;
- Classify data in each of the basic financial statements;
- Properly apply commonly misunderstood note disclosure requirements;
- Format combining and individual fund statements; and
- Prepare required statistical presentations.
PARTICIPANTS ARE ENCOURAGED TO BRING WITH THEM A COPY OF THEIR GOVERNMENT’S CAFR.