Knowledge of state and local governmental accounting and financial reporting.
State and local governmental accounting and financial reporting professionals, state and local government CFOs, and auditors of state and local governments.
Government Finance Officers Association (GFOA) will offer its 23rd Annual Governmental GAAP Update on November 1, 2018, December 5, 2018, and again on January 24, 2019, using the latest video and audio streaming technology. The seminar offers an incomparable opportunity to learn everything you need to know about the most recent developments in accounting and financial reporting for state and local governments from the convenience of your own computer! Enjoy all the benefits of the highest quality continuing professional education without the time and expense of travel!
Participate in interactive exercises to test your knowledge of the material being presented. Receive immediate feedback to your questions during the program from GFOA’s Technical Services staff.
- New GASB pronouncements including debt disclosures, changes in required reporting for governments’ equity interests in legally separate entities and for interest costs incurred during asset construction
- New GASB implementation guidance including clarifications on tax abatement disclosures
- GASB due process documents for public comment including proposals on major changes to the overall financial reporting model, accounting and reporting for conduit debt, and a concepts statement on revenue and expense recognition
- Critical implementation guidance on soon-tobe-effective standards GASB 84, Fiduciary Activities and GASB 87, Leases
- Discussion of other projects currently on the GASB’s technical agenda including updates on revenue and expense recognition deliberations and new topics including cloud computing arrangements and public/private partnerships
• Topics subject to change
Participants in this year’s GAAP Update should achieve a practical knowledge of:
- GASB 88, Certain Disclosures Related to Debt, including Direct Borrowings and Direct Payments
- GASB 89, Accounting for Interest Costs Incurred before the End of a Construction Period
- Final GASB statement on equity interest ownership issues*
- GASB Implementation Guide 2018-1
- Exposure draft of a proposed conduit debt statement*
- Exposure draft of a proposed fiduciary activities implementation guide*
- Exposure draft of a comprehensive implementation guide update*
- Preliminary views on a financial reporting standard*
- Preliminary views on a revenue and expense recognition concept statement*
- Updates on other major GASB projects including a leases implementation guide and potential standards on revenue and expense recognition, public private partnerships, and cloud computing
- The new Yellow Book and other audit matters affecting governments*
- Common reporting deficiencies encountered in GFOA’s Certificate of Achievement for Excellence in Financial Reporting Program
* Anticipated to be issued prior to GAAP Update