Experience with local government budget process.
This training session is designed for experienced budget officers and budget analysts looking to improve technical skills of how to budget for various costs and revenues common to local government.
GFOA Skills Building Workshop – Budget Development is a three-day workshop that will walk participants through a typical budget development process, operating and capital, focusing on best practices and practical guides for how to address common challenges in budgeting. Specific focus will be on technical competencies of budgeting and how to apply skills and lessons learned while also incorporating GFOA best practices.
Starting with creating the timeline and budget calendar, this class walks through all the major steps to the budget including -- budgeting for personnel costs, forecasting revenues, comparing financial data to other communities, the interaction between the operating and capital budgets, the do’s and don’ts of balancing the budget and taking the budget to the elected board for approval.
While many of these components are covered in other GFOA sessions, this one focuses more on the technical aspects of the process as the content will provide a deeper dive in these areas than other courses.
- Build technical skills and practical approach for addressing common budget challenges
- Identify strategies for effective personnel budgeting
- Learn to accurately estimate costs for capital projects and correlate them with operating costs
- Identify pitfalls (and opportunities) for benchmarking
- Become familiar with nuances of revenue projections and forecasting
- Understand how to identify and apply budget balancing strategies
- Learn to avoid budget gimmicks and common pitfalls that move organizations away from achieving its long term objectives