ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT DIRECTOR – UNCLASSIFIED
The Office of Community and Economic Development is currently recruiting for an experienced professional to serve as the Economic Development Director for the City of New Orleans. The Economic Development Director is responsible for working closely with the Mayor, CAO and other senior staff in
promoting business and economic development interests within the city. This role will include providing guidance to individuals, agents, and companies to establish, relocate, or expand their businesses within the City of New Orleans.
The Economic Development Director will serve as lead in the development and execution of a generational economic development plan and will design and oversee specific strategies and projects that support the mission and goals of that plan. Additional functions will include performing a variety of
administrative, management, technical and professional duties that support the Mayor’s priorities related to increased economic development opportunities in the city for businesses and residents.
POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES / ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Strategic Planning and Execution
• Leads the development of an approved generational economic development plan including priorities identified by the Mayor.
• Leads the development of strategic plans as well as the gathering of information and preparation of studies, reports, and recommendations to achieve the goals and objectives outlined by the generational economic development plan.
• Directs economic development initiatives to achieve the goals and objectives outlined by the generational economic development plan.
• Provides professional economic development advice, analyzes project potential, assists in the application and permitting process, and serves as an advocate for economic development in line with the generational economic development plan, ordinances, and goals as established by the City.
• Monitors federal, state, and local legislation and regulations impacting economic development initiatives and reports findings to the appropriate parties, i.e. the Mayor, CAO, economic development committees, City Council, etc.
• Assists in the evaluation and development of public-private partnerships.
• Works closely with local, regional, and state economic development partners to identify and pursue areas with potential in the promotion of business location and expansion within the city.
• Maintains a liaison with various local, State, and Federal agencies, coordinating projects with agencies as deemed necessary and appropriate.
• Maintains strong working relationships with the general public, area businesses, clients, economic development associations, and others.
• Serves as a member of economic development associations or task forces that promote economic and community development at the local, State, or Federal level, as deemed necessary or appropriate.
• Coordinates and shepherds initiatives related to international economic development partnerships and opportunities.
• Prepares and maintains information on utilities, taxes, zoning, transportation, community services, financing tools, economic indicators, and incentives that support economic
• Prepares, maintains, and disseminates information on access to capital, technical assistance, incentives, and other supports for small business start-up, growth, and scaling.
• Becomes familiar with the existing inventory of available public and private property and business and residential development sites within the community.
• Responds to requests for information for economic development purposes and coordinates with other departments and agencies as needed.
• Provides information and/or makes presentations to supervisors, boards, commissions, civic groups, businesses, individuals, and the general public on economic development issues, programs, services, and plans.
• Coordinates the preparation of grant and other funding proposals and applications, contracts and other necessary documents required to support economic development initiatives.
• Assists with negotiation and the management of professional service contracts, property sales or acquisition, and economic development oriented negotiations, as assigned.
• Utilizes system tools and reports to collect, arrange, analyze, and disseminate information in a useful and understandable way for internal and external users.
• Coordinates annual department budget preparation and monitors expenditures and financial reporting.
• Supervises, coaches, establishes performance goals, and evaluates staff.
• Conduct other related work as assigned.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
• Demonstrable knowledge of business development, community involvement, and economic development.
• Working knowledge of municipal zoning and infrastructure, and planning programs and processes.
• Ability to prepare and analyze budgets and reports.
• Excellent oral and in written communication skills with experience developing and making presentations to City Council, assigned committees, task forces, and other officials.
• Ability to establish working relationships with other organizations and economic development practitioners.
• Ability to manage complex industry, community, and political relationships.
• Bachelor's degree in Public or Business Administration, Economics, Finance, Urban Planning or a related field.
• At least seven (7) years of increasingly responsible professional experience in economics, business, and/or community development, including five (5) years of supervisory experience at an upper management level.
• Certification or specialized training in Economic Development preferred.
Orleans Parish Residency Required. Candidate must relocate to or reside within Orleans Parish within 6
HOW TO APPLY:
Please send a cover letter, resume, and three references to the attention of Chad Brown. Resumes can
be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please reference Economic Development Director in the subject line.