The Cost Accounting section of the Controller’s Office is responsible for preparing the University’s annual Fringe Benefit proposal as well as the University’s Federal Facilities and Administrative (F&A) cost proposal. The Cost Accounting group is also responsible for opening new service centers, monitoring and completing annual reviews of all existing service centers, and regular reviews of service center ISRs and journal entries. The group also develops cost studies as requested and updates existing cost studies as needed. Additionally, we offer training on cost accounting standards and service centers as requested.
The Senior Cost Accountant plays a vital role in maintaining the integrity of financial data used to establish the F&A and fringe benefit rates, which recoup millions of dollars annually in support of external programs. This position performs advanced-level responsibilities including analyzing and evaluating financial data through the application and interpretation of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) to include the following:
• Provide detailed and extensive assistance to faculty and departmental staff in the following areas: maintaining procedures to monitor and track service center costs, recoveries, and usage, confirming that all service center users are charged, and annual review and analysis of service center rates.
• Verify and review the user rates of all university service centers and other rate calculations as requested;
• Contribute in planning, preparing, and presenting detailed schedules and work-papers for the F&A Cost Proposal, Fringe Benefit proposal, and State Auxiliary Indirect Cost Proposal;
• Provides support to Financial Reporting through the preparation of reconciliation schedules, fund analysis, accounting journal entries, and specialized reports; interacts frequently with the Associate Controller and Financial Reporting Manager to provide financial information and analysis as requested;
• Provides backup support for related positions as needed; and
• Completes all special projects as assigned.
Success in the role requires the following skills:
• Ability to learn and perform job duties with little supervision and make independent decisions in a complex environment.
• Ability to independently plan, organize and prioritize workload.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to provide customer service in a courteous manner and work effectively with diverse groups of people.
Qualified applicants must electronically submit an online application, cover letter, resume/curriculum vitae, and an optional list of their professional references to https://listings.jobs.vt.edu. Apply to posting #SW0190341.
Review of applications will begin on June 3, 2019 and will continue until the position is filled. Virginia Tech is committed to building a culturally diverse faculty and strongly encourages applications from women and minorities. Virginia Tech is an equal opportunity/affirmative action institution.
Required Qualifications • Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or related field and/or an equivalent level of training and experience directly related to professional accounting, auditing and/or preparing annual audited financial statements.
• Thorough knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
• Ability to interpret and implement state, federal and/or university rules and regulations.
• Demonstrated experience creating financial reports by gathering, analyzing, summarizing and interpreting data.
• Demonstrated experience performing complex reconciliations.
• Experience working effectively with large volumes of information.
• Demonstrated experience working with current software applications to conduct analysis using current office software applications such as MS Excel, Access (e.g., pivot tables, Access queries).
Preferred Qualifications • Advanced degree in Accounting, Business Administration, Finance or related field.
• Valid CPA license or advanced degree in related field.
• Knowledge of GAAP/GASB and internal controls as they relate to business processes in higher education or federal agency.
• Demonstrated experience working with a query tool, SAS, and/or Access.
• Previous experience with Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) Finance systems such as Banner Finance.