The Finance Department is seeking a Senior Accountant (Payroll) within the Payroll section of the Accounting Division. Under general supervision from the Principal Accountant, the Senior Accountant will provide the necessary resources to ensure appropriate internal controls for implementation and customization to the City’s payroll system including non-pensionable compensation increases that will help mitigate risks of incorrect pay and benefits calculations while ensuring employees are paid in timely manner.
The Senior Accountant will be responsible for processing accounting and payroll transactions, preparing the journal entries, and reconciling the entries between Labor Distribution and the City’s Payroll system. The Senior Accountant will supervise and manage an Accountant and an Accounting Technician responsible for biweekly payroll production. Other responsibilities include communicating issues and organizational changes related to the payroll processes in City publications, Finance websites, payroll training programs, ensuring compliance with the requirements of the City’s bargaining unit agreements, as well as defining and documenting internal procedures, and working with the Information Technology Department to implement changes required in the Oracle PeopleSoft HR / Payroll System.
The essential duties of a Senior Accountant include the following:
- Performing monthly analysis between reconciled Payroll Bank Account and Labor Distribution entries, ensure that uncashed checks within specified time will go through escheatment process.
- Reconciling various accounts related to Payroll.
- Coordinating various audits with external CPA firms and internal City Auditors.
- Supervising, mentoring, and training staff.
- Overseeing the operations of complex systems used to generate the City of San Jose’s bi-weekly payroll.
- Preparing and completing the payroll reports as required by the federal, state and other regulatory agencies (State Controllers Report).
- Implementing and complying with the regulation related to IRS, Department of Labor, State and other governmental agencies as well as negotiated labor agreements.
- Coordinating special payroll related projects.
- Performing other duties and assignments as assigned.
Education: completion of a Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in Accounting, Business Administration, or related field, including at least 18 semester units in accounting subjects Experience: four (4) years of experience at the working level of a professional accountant.
To apply, please complete an application via the City of San Jose’s website at www.sanjoseca.gov/citycareers. The application deadline is on June 24, 2019 at 11:59 PM. Please allow adequate time to complete the application and submit before the deadline or the system may not save your application. If your online application was successfully submitted, you will receive an automatic confirmation email to the email address you provided. IF YOU DO NOT RECEIVE THE CONFIRMATION, please email CityCareers@sanjoseca.gov and we will research the status of your application. Please contact Human Resources at (408) 535-1285, or Human.Resources@sanjoseca.gov if you have any questions.
The salary range: $85,529.60-104,208.00. The actual salary shall be determined by the final candidate’s qualifications and experience. In addition to the starting salary, employees in the Senior Accountant classification shall also receive an approximate five percent (5%) ongoing non-pensionable compensation pay