Director of Finance Salary: [Non-Union Position Min – Max Range] $89,067 – $142,508 / Year
The City of Unalaska is accepting applications for the position of Director of Finance to lead the Finance Department. Located in the central Aleutian Islands, Unalaska is a multicultural coastal community of approximately 4,500 full-time residents and is home to the number one commercial fishing port in the United States, the International Port of Dutch Harbor. The following IS NOT intended to serve as a comprehensive list of all work performed by employees in this classification. Shown are duties intended to provide a representative summary. GENERAL DESCRIPTION: This executive level position reports directly to the City Manager. The position acts as the Chief Financial Officer of the City and is responsible for a variety of complex supervisory, professional, administrative and technical accounting and finance related functions, maintaining the fiscal systems and records of the City of Unalaska.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES: The successful candidate will have a demonstrated job history that includes the following:
- Thorough understanding and application of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) as it relates to governmental accounting; including knowledge and application of standards issued by the Government Accounting Standards Board (GASB)
- Ability to draft the City’s Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR) and submit to Government Finance Officers Association (GFOA) annually
- Understanding of Generally Accepted Auditing Principles and ability to effectively coordinate the annual audit, including interacting with the City’s external auditors Ability to be an effective team leader, apply supervisory best practices, and manage workloads and assignments in the furtherance of departmental goals;
- Responsible for delivering professional financial advice regarding short and long terms goals to the City Manager and to the Mayor and Council
- Effective and efficient communication (oral and written) skills with employees, consultants, other governmental agencies, City officials, and the general public
- Knowledge and experience establishing and revising effective internal controls
- Ability to research and provide comprehensive reports to plan, formulate and execute policies and programs.
- Demonstrated ability to manage the City’s budget process as well as develop and prepare financial studies and plans
- Considerable knowledge of ERP systems including integrated financial management information systems and their use in public finance and fiscal planning, budgeting, accounting and reporting, and payroll, accounts payable and accounts receivable functions.
- Skill in assessing and prioritizing multiple tasks, projects and demands, and delegating tasks and authority
- Skill in data collection and analysis, and mathematical and statistical computations
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting and/or a related field required; graduate degree such as finance, business or public administration preferred
- A minimum of eight (8) years’ experience in a governmental setting, including three (3) years in financial management or related field required.
- A minimum of five (5) years of supervisory experience required.
- At least three (3) years in executive management preferred.
- Combinations of education and experience providing knowledge, skill and abilities will be evaluated on an individual basis.
LICENCES & SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Must be at least 21 years of age. • Licensed CPA, must be bondable.
- Must have, or be able to obtain, an Alaska Driver’s License within 90 days of hire.
- Ability to pass all required pre-employment testing i.e. Criminal background and History, drug testing.
- Must be eligible to work in the US; requirements by Federal Law if hired must complete employment eligibility verification form (I-9) BENEFITS:
- Potential for $10,000 hiring bonus.
- Travel allowance $1,500 on your anniversary of hire date.
- Tuition Reimbursement up to 100% (refer to Title III for details).
- Medical premium 100% employer paid (employee & dependents).
- Paid Time Off starting at 8 hours per pay period.
- Eligible for Public Employees Retirement System (PERS) retirement.
TO APPLY: You must submit a City of Unalaska Application, Resume, Cover letter, Three (3) references. All necessary forms are available at City Hall, Administration Dept. 907-581-1252, or by downloading at www.ci.unalaska.ak.us Return completed forms to City of Unalaska Attn: Administration P.O Box 610, Unalaska, AK 99685, email email@example.com or fax 907-581-4469 WE ARE AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER The City of Unalaska is an Employer of National Service and encourages AmeriCorps, Peace Corps and other national service alumni to apply.