Under moderate direction and supervision: assists in the development, preparation, and administration of the County’s operating and capital budgets. Compiles and analyzes financial and performance data as a basis for preparation of budgetary projections and special reports. Provides technical and informational assistance to department managers & staff to ensure compliance with budgetary and accounting policies, county strategic plan, capital improvement plan, and long-term financial plan. Reviews and researches revenue and expenditure variances throughout the year and alerts appropriate management personnel of potential issues. Communicates the budgetary plan & progress to executive-level administration. This position reports directly to the Budget Director.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS Duties may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Provide detailed review and analysis during the annual budget process.
- Prepare budget and other financial reports to facilitate evaluation of operating results.
- Assist with the development of policies and procedures for carrying out directives of decision makers.
- Prepare budget materials and coordinate meetings with departmental personnel as needed to facilitate budget preparation and ongoing monitoring.
- Assist in the drafting and distributing budget preparation materials.
- Provide training to departmental personnel on the preparation of financial plans, performance evaluation materials, and other budget documents.
- Monitor budgetary compliance & research variances as necessary; determine account coding errors discovered.
- Process and review requests for transfers; compile information for any proposed budget ordinance amendments for consideration by County Council.
- Prepare regular budgetary reports for distribution to administration and department directors; inform appropriate staff about budget problems and work with them in development, maintenance, and review of proper budgetary controls.
- Conduct special research studies; compile and analyze data; present findings and reports in clear and understandable form.
- Assist in the preparation of operational forecasts for current and future years using statistical and modeling techniques.
- Assist in researching, implementing, and monitoring department performance measures based on the vision and goals for the County as a whole.
- Assist in preparing, maintaining, & analyzing the County’s Long Term Financial Plan and Capital Improvement Plan.
- Prepare information for and participate in various budget conferences, workshops, public hearings, and other meetings.
- Demonstrate continuous effort to improve operations, streamline work processes, and work collaboratively and effectively with County staff at all levels.
- Must have outstanding communication skills and be detailed oriented.