Under general supervision, coordinates the development and preparation of the Town’s annual budget, performs financial analysis, fiscal/managerial research, financial forecasting and interpretation of records and reports for the Finance Department.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
A. Performs comparative analyses, interprets fiscal records and prepares reports through application of statistical analysis, research techniques, financial forecasting and estimating methodologies.
B. Compiles, reviews and evaluates departmental budget requests and revenue and expenditure forecasting.
C. Responsible for the development of the Town’s annual budget and prepares and provides budget documents and reports on the Town’s financial status.
D. Assists departments on developing operating and capital budgets by conducting research, analyzing data, preparing reports and making recommendations.
E. Coordinates and prepares the Town’s 10-year Capital Improvement Plan.
F. Estimates the operating budget’s year-end personnel expenditures and develops worksheets for fund revenue and expenditure estimates to calculate fund balances and in preparation for developing the new fiscal year budget.
G. Performs administrative functions on behalf of the Town’s self-insured medical and prescription plan and complies with the Town’s HIPAA Privacy Policies and Procedures, especially as it pertains to use and disclosure of Protected Health Information.
H. Monitors and analyzes accounts, budget variances, financial/cost impacts, financial reporting and managerial research projects.
I. Develops labor cost projection worksheets to reflect department/division staffing levels.
J. Ensures departmental budget documents are complete and meet deadlines.
K. Responds to budget inquiries and resolves budgetary issues.
L. Coordinates final publication and distribution of adopted budget.
M. Performs research analysis and makes recommendations for improving management policies, procedures, methods and operations to improve effectiveness and efficiency of delivery of service.
N. Assists in the development of special projects such as cash management, investment policies and alternatives, local sales tax monitoring and compliance and long-term debt administration.
O. Participates in the implementation of new financial systems.
P. Trains Town employees on the budget module of MUNIS.
Q. Prepares and updates the Town’s annual Master Fee Schedule.
R. Prepares the Town’s annual Impact Fee Report.
S. Assists in the preparation of the Town’s Popular Annual Financial Report
T. Other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of applicable Town, state and Federal statutes, ordinances, codes, rules and regulations governing public finance and budgeting.
- Knowledge of bookkeeping and/or reporting preparation and principles.
- Knowledge of budget development and analysis principles and practices.
- Knowledge of personal computer hardware and software.
- Skill in preparing status reports, statements and documents.
- Skill in monitoring, tracking, analyzing and evaluating expenditures and financial transactions.
- Skill in performing mathematical and statistical calculations and financial projections.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships.
- Skill in ensuring accuracy of all work performed.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration or related field.
- Five (5) years’ experience in finance, budget, accounting, analytical writing, public policy and management analysis or research; OR an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Governmental budgeting or accounting experience preferred.
ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORS and WORKING CONDITIONS:
- Work is performed in an indoor environment.