Finance officers who have investment responsibilities for their government.
Investing Public Funds offers attendees a comprehensive agenda of the concepts and techniques needed to effectively manage their investment portfolios.
The two day course highlights the importance for governmental entities to have a robust Investment Policy and corresponding procedures, and brings attention to GFOA’s Best Practices related to investing.
Through interactive activities and classroom presentations, attendees will gain a better understanding of the various elements of an investment program, whether the portfolio is managed internally or externally. Topics covered include: cash flow forecasting, hiring and managing external professionals, types of investments commonly used in the public sector, investment strategies for liquidity and core investment funds, managing risks, benchmarking, and reporting.
Attendees will be able to take-away from this course:
- Understand key components of an investment policy
- Develop an approach to cash flow forecasting and understand how that leads to investment decisions
- Understand key factors in hiring and managing external investment professionals
- Learn how to use tools to raise awareness of and develop tools to manage various risks related to investing
- Approach the multifaceted segments of Investment Strategies
- Choose the right benchmarking standard for your portfolios