Portland, OR (The Benson)
Finance professionals involved with pension benefits or other postemployment benefits (OPEB) from either an employer or plan perspective.
The seminar is designed to equip participants with a solid working knowledge of accounting and financial reporting for pensions, OPEB, and termination benefits. It incorporates the latest Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB) pronouncements and reviews proposed changes. It also offers practical guidance on how to prepare a comprehensive annual financial report (CAFR) for a public employee retirement system (PERS).
Those who successfully complete the seminar should be able to:
- Distinguish pension benefits from OPEB;
- Distinguish postemployment benefits from termination benefits;
- Identify each of the different types of pension and OPEB arrangements;
- Determine the appropriate accounting and financial reporting for employers for each;
- Describe the basic elements of an actuarial valuation;
- Identify the five major sections of a PERS CAFR and the contents of each; and
- Determine the appropriate measure of cost for termination benefits.