The Certified Public Finance Officers Program (Certification Program) of GFOA is a broad educational self-study program designed to verify knowledge in the disciplines of government finance. The Certification Program is governed by the Council on Certification. Technical and administrative support for the program is provided by Radford University's Governmental and Nonprofit Assistance Center.
To earn the designation of Certified Public Finance Officer (CPFO), candidates must pass a series of five examinations covering the major disciplines of public finance. A candidate has seven years in which to successfully complete the program. Once earned, the CPFO designation is maintained by participating in 30 hours of continuing professional education (CPE) each year or 60 hours of CPE credit if the CPFO files over a two year period.
While GFOA certifies that an individual who passes one or more of GFOA's certification examinations demonstrates certain competencies, GFOA withholds an opinion as to the capabilities of any individual to successfully perform in a given position. GFOA encourages prospective employers and employees to share information regarding the requirements of the position and the capabilities of the candidate in a forthright manner to promote sound employment and professional decisions.
There are now more than 700 Certified Public Finance Officers across the country. Bruce Chase, with the Governmental and Nonprofit Assistance Center at Radford University speaks about the program in the video below. GFOA and Radford University have partnered together on the CPFO Program for nearly 14 years.
Certification Forms and Guideline
- CPFO Brochure
- 2018 Application for GFOA Certification Examinations - New Candidate
- 2018 Application for GFOA Certification Examinations - Continuing Candidate
- 2018 Candidates' Guide to Becoming a Certified Public Finance Officer
- Exam Material Order Forms for 2018 CPFO Exams
- GFOA Certification Renewal Form for Certified Public Finance Officers
- Guidance on Filing CPE Credits
- Guide for Obtaining CPE Credit for Certified Public Officers
- 2018 CPFO Exam Schedule
- 2018 Host Testing Site Application