The GFOA established the Canadian Award for Excellence in Financial Reporting Program (CAnFR Program) in 1986 to encourage and assist Canadian local governments to go beyond the minimum requirements of generally accepted accounting principles, as set by the Public Sector Accounting Board of the Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants, to prepare comprehensive annual financial reports that evidence the spirit of transparency and full disclosure and then to recognize individual governments that succeed in achieving that goal.
Reports submitted to the CAnFR program are reviewed by selected members of the GFOA professional staff and a review committee, which comprises individuals with expertise in Canadian public-sector financial reporting and includes financial statement preparers, independent auditors, academics, and other finance professionals.
- 2017 Program Results | For Fiscal Years Ended in 2016 (NEW)
- 2016 Program Results | For Fiscal Years Ended in 2015
- 2015 Program Results | For Fiscal Years Ended in 2014
The following links offer access to detailed information on specific aspects of the CAnFR Program:
Information for participants and potential participants:
- Eligibility requirements
- How to submit a report
- Application form
- Requests for an extension of the submission deadline
- Judging process
- Most recent Award-winning governments for the fiscal year ended in 2017
Information for reviewers and potential reviewers: