Under direction of the City Treasurer, serves as the Deputy City Treasurer and performs work requiring consistent exercise of discretion and judgment by performing a broad range of professional accounting tasks; assists the City Treasurer and tasks required for preparation and administration of the City budget; provides training and functional supervision of department staff.
Essential functions include:
- Performs general financial accounting to record transactions and reconcile accounts to general ledger; makes adjustments to accounts as appropriate; prepares financial statements and quarterly and year-end summary reports.
- Monitors revenues and expenditures to assure compliance with budgets; accounts for variances between projected and actual revenues and expenditures.
- Closes and posts subsystems; prepares and posts standard general journal entries; runs trial balances and prepares preliminary balance sheets, income statements, and supporting reports.
- Develops spreadsheets and schedules of key general ledger accounts such as bank reconciliations, schedules of accounts receivable and accounts payable, prepaid expenses and long-term debt; prepares and posts adjusting entries to general journal and general ledger.
- Sets up and maintains project subsidiary ledgers; records engineering estimates; prepares and posts closing entries; prepares detailed reports of completed project financial activity; applies construction advances and deposits; processes invoices or check requests for refund as required.
- Develops, evaluates, and implements financial accounting procedures and practices to meet the City’s financial goals and objectives; assists in managing resources and developing programs to train staff in appropriate management of financial information and provides financial services.
- Assists in the preparation and administration of the department budget; estimates department budget needs; writes justification for funding requests; monitors expenditures to assure compliance with budgets; accounts for variances between projected and actual expenditures.
- In conjunction with the City Treasurer, develops revenue estimates and departmental budget targets to guide departments in budget preparation; compiles reports for the City Council regarding budgets and actual revenue and expenditures; participates in the preparation and filing of budget, revenue, and expenditure reports.
- Conducts internal audits of various City financial operations; reconciles real and personal property taxes and apportionment.
- Develops and administers accounting policies and procedures; maintains general ledger for the City; oversees accounts payable.
In addition, this position assists in the preparation of year-end adjustments and work papers for the annual financial audit, grant accounting and project accounting. Additional preferred experience includes governmental accounting, audit of local government, grant accounting and project accounting.