“A Positive, Exemplary Community” Director of Finance
Salary The salary range for this position is between $100,000 – $115,000 per annum on a 37.5 hour work week, depending on E/E. This position is an exempt managerial position and is not eligible for overtime. Extended hours beyond 37.5 hours a week can be expected due to meetings or other unplanned events.
Overview The Town of Westerly is accepting applications for the position of Director of Finance. This position is responsible for responsible for directing all municipal financial functions which includes program responsibility for accounting/auditing, payroll, accounts payable/receivables, budget, fiscal grants management, purchasing and tax collections. This position is also responsible for formulating broad policies and coordinates activities among Town Departments.
About the Department This executive level position manages a team of six professionals and oversees a budget of approximately $35,000,000. The Finance Department serves as financial analysts and advisors to the Town’s other 11 Departments, and provides account payables and purchasing support to the School Department. The School Department has their own Finance Department that is responsible for accounting, fiscal analysis and processing. This position serves on the Town Manager’s executive staff team and will be the principle advisor to the Town Manager on all financial operations. This position partners closely with the other two administrative executive directors, the Director of Information Technology and the Director of Human Resources, to ensure the administrative infrastructure and processes run smoothly and efficiently. This position will also partner with the School Department’s Business Manager, the School Department’s equivalent to Director of Finance, to coordinate financial reporting.
Why Westerly? Westerly is both the most southern and western location in South County Rhode Island, and is home to the popular villages of Misquamicut and Watch Hill, to distinctive summer communities. Recognized as having the most beautiful beaches on the east coast, Westerly is the perfect place to enjoy a relaxing or action packed vacation.
Over the past year, the Finance Department has undergone changes to move to a model of excellence, by adopting more stringent financial controls, reorganization of the department, moving from a purely transaction department to a more analyst and advisory department. The Town seeks an innovative leader who will keep this momentum going with the ability to raise our newly hired staff to a new level of excellence.
What You Should Bring The ideal candidate will have a Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Public Administration, Finance, Accounting or closely related field. The candidate will also have five years of professional and increasingly responsible accounting, finance, and budget experience, which must include a minimum of three years of supervisory and management level experience. Experience in governmental or public sector accounting is required. Individuals with a Master’s Degree and individuals who hold a CPA or CMA will be given preference.
Additional Qualifications Certified Public Accountant (CPA) from the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, Certified Management Accountant (CMA) from the Association of Accountants and Finance Professionals in Business, the Certified Internal Auditor (CIA) from the Institute of Internal Auditors, or the Certified Public Finance Officers Program (CPFO) from the Government Finance Officers Association is highly preferred. Individuals who are selected for this position will be required to obtain professional certification within 2 years of employment.
The Town has undergone a development initiative. Candidates who are not currently certified as a CPA, CMA, CIA, will be provided assistance in order to obtain these professional certifications within 2 years of employment.
The Opportunity The Director of Finance works in Westerly Town Hall. Current hours are typically 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM; however, flexibility is expected for this position, as this position’s workload changes based on operational demand. Some of the responsibilities are as follows:
- Directs, manages, leads, coordinates and mentors departmental staff.
- Ensures compliance with all applicable federal, state and Town laws, ordinances and regulations.
- Advises and consults with the Town Manager’s office on fiscal matters and prepares data that is essential to policy and administrative determinations.
- Prepares and reports on tax collection, financial reporting issues, pension and bond issues.
- Coordinates with the Human Resources Department in overseeing the Town’s risk management program including oversight of third party administrators.
- Coordinates the preparation of the annual operating budget and Comprehensive Annual Financial Report.
- Works with internal stakeholders on fiscal management of grant funds, reporting and tracking.
- Conducts pre-audits of expenditures and maintains records of the receipts and expenditures of all Town departments and keeps detailed records of all taxes assessed by the Town and all moneys due to the Town from other sources.
- Develops long-range plans, policies, and programs and works with appropriate staff on implementation of plans, policies, and programs.
- Provides budget and finance information and advice to Town Council, with the Town Manager’s concurrence, via written, electronic and verbal presentations.
- As a member of the Town’s leadership team, works productively and collegially with other employees and external constituencies to achieve the Town’s mission and specifically assigned goals and objectives.
- Develops and delivers the proposed annual budget to Town Council via a series of budget workshops, and monitors and implements budgets after adoption.
- Estimates financial impact of selected policies, legislation, and contracts.
- Reviews and is responsible for all financial information for completeness and accuracy that is prepared and presented to officials, residents, Town Council and the Town Manager.
Selection Process The candidate offered the position will be required to successfully pass a background investigation. A complete job description is available on-line at www.westerlyri.gov or at the Human Resources Department. Interested applicants must submit a resume with salary requirements to HR@westerlyri.gov. All resumes received by 4:30 pm on or before April 6 will receive priority consideration. AA/EOE