The Town of Coventry is seeking candidates for the Director of Finance position which reports to the Town Manager.
Statement of Duties Position is responsible for the management and administration of the Town's Finance Department. Employee acts as finance director, town treasurer, and risk manager. Work includes investing, borrowing, and transferring funds; overseeing accounts receivable and accounts payable for the town; developing and administering budgets, policies and procedures; supervising staff; and directing and coordinating the activities of the Finance Department. Employee exercises control in the management and planning of financial goals, objectives and budgets, personnel and risk management, and records management. Employee is expected to resolve all conflicts that arise and coordinate with others as necessary. Employee has access to confidential information including personnel files, collective bargaining negotiations, and lawsuits.
Essential Functions The function of the Director shall be the supervision and direction of all matters pertaining to the financial operation of the town, including, but not limited to, accounting and budgeting, control of expenditures, assessment and collection of taxes and other administration of trust funds, and such other duties as shall be required by the Town Charter, by ordinance, or by RI state law.
- Supervises and directs all matters pertaining to the financial operations of the town including, but not limited to, accounting and budgeting, control of expenditures, assessment and collection of taxes and administration of trust funds and other duties.
- Is custodian of all public funds belonging to, or under the control of, the town, including the school department; and deposit all funds into appropriate depositories.
- Acts as custodian of all investments and invested funds of the town, or in the possession of the town in a fiduciary capacity.
- Pre-audit s all bills, invoices, payrolls and other evidence of claims or charges against the town and ensures appropriations are not exceeded by any disbursements in any department, office or agency of the town, including the school department.
- Prepares a monthly statement of all receipts and disbursements, in sufficient detail to show the financial condition of the town, for submission to the Town Manager and the Council.
- Prepares a complete financial statement and report in accordance with state law, for submission to the Town Manager, the Council and the electors of the town; a copy thereof shall be filed in the town clerk's office and shall become a public record.
- As Town Treasurer, has the custody, control and responsibility for the operation of the H.N. Waterman Fund, the Isaac Fiske Fund, funds accepted to provide perpetual care of cemetery lots, and other fund which may in the future, come into possession of the town in a fiduciary capacity, with the approval of the town council in their capacity as trustee or otherwise.
- As Risk Manager, is responsible for reducing the Town's risk exposure for Worker's Compensation, Health, Disability, Professional Liability, and Property Liability.
Education and Experience The Director shall have a minimum bachelor of arts or science degree from an accredited college or university in a financial area of study and experience in Rhode Island municipal accounting, finance, taxation, budgeting, financial control and investments.
Salary: $95,700. The Town offers an excellent benefits package. Position is open until filled. Please send cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org
or Cheryl Wilcox, HR Manager Town of Coventry 1670 Flat River Road Coventry, RI 02816
The Town of Coventry is an Equal Opportunity/ADA Employer.