The City of South Haven is seeking to fill the position of Finance Director. Responsible to the City Manager for the activities performed by Finance, including the functions of Assessor and Treasurer; establishes or approves goals and objectives; plans, supervises, and executes protection of City assets and investments; exercises independent judgment and decision making in carrying out a wide variety of tasks. Typical duties and responsibilities include:
1. Performs financial analyses and research; makes recommendations on a variety of problems, critical issues or concerns brought forth by City Council, City Manager or other departments.
2. Supervises staff in day-to-day operations of taxes, accounting, assessing and utility billing departments.
3. Prepares annual City budget from departmental submissions and review.
4. Closes accounting records, gives assistance to auditors and helps prepare annual financial report of the City.
6. Conducts quarterly budget reviews with department heads and prepares and submits summary report to the City Manager.
7. Performs accounting functions such as approving all voucher (checks), making journal entries, authorizing bank transfers and reconciling accounts payable.
8. Represents the City before local, state and federal agencies and citizen groups interested in local government services and programs.
9. Maintains up-to-date personal knowledge and skills in areas of responsibility through extensive reading and educational experience.
10. Makes rate recommendations for utilities.
11. Manages investment of City funds.
12. Works with bond counsel on all bond issues of the City.
13. Prepares and presents financial reports to various boards including LDFA/BRA, DDA, SHAWSA (area water/sewer authority), SHAES (area fire/ambulance authority) and SHARA (area recreational authority).
14. Attends City Council and board and commission meetings as required by the City Manager.
Successful candidates will have a bachelor’s degree in accounting, management, public administration or related field. Master’s degree and CPA designation are preferred. Prior governmental accounting experience is highly desirable. Minimum of five years of experience is required.