GFOA is working with practitioners, researchers, and other education finance experts to identify best practices in school and community college budgeting. These best practices aim to leverage the budget process to align resources to student outcomes.
As part of this initiative, several PK-12 school districts and community colleges nationwide were selected as pilots to help develop and to test these best practices. The pilots are using the best practies to develop their 2014-2015 budgets. GFOA is using these best practices to to update and enhance its Distinguished Budget Presentation Award Program to incorporate resource allocation best practices specific for PK-12 school districts and community colleges. The inaugural Distinguished Budget Presentation Award for Schools for 2016-2017 budget.
For additional information or questions on the project, please contact Shayne Kavanagh, Senior Research Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Draft Best Practices
GFOA is working to refine and the best practices based on the experiences of the pilots in developing their 2014-2015 budgets as well as from public comment. GFOA encourages the public to review these draft best practices and ask questions and share feedback. Please note that draft best practices for Pay for Priorities and Implement Plan are forthcoming and will be issued soon.
- Plan and Prepare - 1: Organize Process
- Plan and Prepare - 2: Assess Landscape
- Plan and Prepare - 3: Start Engaging Stakeholders
- Set Instructional Priorities - 4: Develop Priorities
- Pay for Priorities - 6 and 7: Identify Top Savings Options and Analyze Top Savings Options
- Implement Plan - 8: Balance Budget Tradeoffs
- A - TBD
- Implement Plan - 10: Adopt Annual Budget
- Ensure Sustainability - 12: Plan for Continuous Improvement
Provide Feedback to GFOA
GFOA encourages feedback on the draft best practice documents. To provide feedback, please complete the feedback form.