The Town of North Hempstead, a municipality with 222,000 residents, located on the north shore of Long Island in Nassau County, is seeking a Comptroller. The Comptroller oversees the day-to-day operations of the Comptroller’s Office, including staff management, an array of financial transactions, and long-term financial management and reporting. Key functions include:
• Preparation and filing of the Town’s Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR);
• Preparation and filing of annual financial reports with the Office of the NYS Comptroller and other governmental agencies;
• Oversight of budget process
• Oversight of required annual audits, including coordination of work with retained audit personnel;
• Accounting and control of the Town’s capital accounts, capital assets, and associated records;
• Oversight of cash management for the Town and 19 Town-operated special districts;
• Oversight of claims processing and payroll;
• Implementation of GASB standards,.
• Management and training of staff;
• Frequent interaction with management and staff of other Departments,
elected and appointed officials, and other governmental agencies.
The successful candidate must possess a BA in accounting, business administration, public administration, or a related field, have a minimum of five years experience in auditing or governmental accounting, and hold an active CPA license; MBA a plus. Those interested in the position should have the ability to work in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment, have strong interpersonal and communications skills, and should have a strong interest in public service. North Hempstead offers a strong benefit package, including a defined benefit pension plan, comprehensive medical, an optional deferred compensation plan, and a generous paid vacation and holiday schedule.
Applicants should send a letter of interest and resume (in confidence) to:
Town of North Hempstead
220 Plandome Road
Manhasset, NY 11030