A laptop/tablet is recommended for the course.
This course is designed for new and intermediate analysts or others new to government looking to gain important budgeting skills and improve their understanding of the public-sector budget process and budgeting best practices.
The GFOA Budget Academy is an immersion training course that focuses on skills and techniques critical to public sector budget analyst. Using a combination of exercises, discussions, and lectures, the course will provide an overview of the budget development process, including best practices and techniques required in effective budgeting. This course covers essential elements of public sector budgeting such as goal setting, program development, revenue and expense analysis, position budgeting, capital budgeting, and more. Designed for budget analysts from both small and large organizations, this course will provide critical information for new analysts and allow veteran analysts an opportunity to hone their skills.
**Please bring a laptop/tablet as some instruction will utilize Excel.**
- Understand the public-sector budget process
- Develop skills for basic forecasting and data analysis
- Understand basic accounting principles and how they relate to the budget
- Learn how to work with operating departments to develop goals and budget requests
- Become familiar with position budgeting and salary projections for public sector organizations
- Link capital and operating budgets
- Understand how to budget for grant-funded programs
- Gain an understanding of the basics of rate setting and internal service charges
- Better understand specific operational issues facing local governments
- Understand how to present budget information
- Network with peers from other organizations