Fort Lauderdale, FL (Bahia Mar Beach DoubleTree)
Experience working in a local government.
The seminar is geared to recently appointed pension plan administrators, staff, and trustees, finance directors who need an overview of the topic, and finance officers who serve on pension boards. It also will be relevant for budget analysts who oversee retirement plan funding.
Experts will use an interactive format, including a question-and-answer roundtable, to review the foundations of investing for pension funds, and assist participants in putting these concepts to practical use. Attendees will learn formal policies, procedures, and guidelines for fund fiduciaries; the elements of an investment policy; the basic principles of and considerations for asset allocation for pension plans; general guidance and key risk framework and remedies for pension fund risk; the role of alternative investments in pension and OPEB funds; investment fee policies for retirement systems, and how to select investment advisers for pension fund assets.
Those who successfully complete this seminar should be able to:
- Understand the duty of the fiduciary.
- Establish a written investment policy that lays out formal policies and procedures to regulate and monitor the system’s investment program.
- Understand the fund’s investment guidelines.
- Understand the principles of asset allocation.
- Understand pension fund risk.