Fort Lauderdale, FL (Bahia Mar Beach DoubleTree)
Experience working in a local government and basic understanding of pension and benefit offerings.
Government finance professionals responsible for pension and benefit administration.
Experts will use an interactive format, including an extended question-and-answer roundtable, to review the foundations of prudent practices in pension and OPEB plan policy, design, management, and governance. Participants will also receive hands on assistance in molding these concepts into practical use for their organization’s pension and OPEB plans.
Participants who successfully complete this seminar should be able to:
- Understand the basics of how defined benefit, defined contribution, hybrid, OPEB, and health-care plans work, including their design, policy, and governance.
- Begin addressing their pension, OPEB, and health-care plan cost concerns.
- Understand strategies and tactics that can be applied to cut pension and health-care costs, and to make pension and OPEB programs sustainable for the long run.
- Understand how to educate employees about their retirement and health-care benefits.
- Understand points of concern regarding the needs of all pension stakeholders.
- Understand specific information about levels of pension benefits, plan design, and new benefit tiers.
- Prepare an effective summary plan description.
- Understand the importance of the actuarial valuation to pension plans, and what to consider in procuring actuarial services.
- Understand how fees are determined, in both defined benefit and defined contribution plans, along with how to ascertain what type and level of fee is appropriate.
- Understand pension issues around deferred retirement option plans.
- Understand the pros and cons of early retirement incentives.
- Understand fiduciary obligations.
- Determine whether it makes sense for your jurisdiction to pre-fund its OPEB plan.
- Understand detailed information on Affordable Care Act compliance and how ACA compliance can be incorporated into the organization’s overall strategy.
- Take information and strategies for cost containment in active employee health-care plans back to their organizations.