Class is Full
A laptop/tablet is recommended for the course.
This course is designed for budget analysts from both small and large organizations. It will provide critical information for new analysts and allow veteran analysts an opportunity to hone their skills.
GFOA’s Budget Academy is a four-day course that focuses on skills and techniques critical to a publicsector budget analyst. Using a combination of lectures, discussions, and exercises, the course will provide an overview of the budget development process, including best practices and techniques required in effective budgeting. Specific topic areas include goal setting, program development, revenue and expense analysis, position budgeting, capital budgeting, and more. Participants will also have an opportunity to network with colleagues to share best practices and to discuss budgeting challenges.
Peer learning and networking with colleagues from other organizations is an integral part of the Budget Academy. Additionally, those who successfully complete this seminar should obtain a solid basic understanding of each of the following:
- Public-sector budget process
- Basic forecasting and expenditure analysis
- Basic accounting principles and how they relate to the budget
- Working relationship with operating departments to develop goals and budget requests
- Position budgeting and salary projections for public-sector organizations
- Link between capital and operating budgets
- Budgeting for grants
- Basics of rate setting and internal service charges
- Communicating and presenting budget information