To manage, supervise and coordinate the financial and administrative operations and activities of the Blue Valley Recreation Commission; to compile and review the budget, analyze financial statements, as well as administer financial policy; and to provide highly responsible and complex administrative support to the Executive Director.
Essential Duties and responsibilities
- Assume management responsibility for assigned financial and administrative services and activities.
- Manage and participate in the development and implementation of goals, objectives, policies, and priorities for financial activities; recommend and administer policies and procedures.
- Monitor and evaluate the efficiency and effectiveness of methods and procedures; recommend, within departmental policy, appropriate service and staffing levels.
- Plan, manage, coordinate, and review the work plan for assigned personnel; assign financial work activities, projects, and programs; review and evaluate work methods and procedures; meet with personnel to identify and resolve problems.
- Continuously monitor and evaluate the efficiency and effectiveness of financial methods and procedures; recommend, within Commission policy, appropriate service and staffing levels.
- Select, train, motivate and evaluate financial personnel; provide or coordinate training; work with subordinate personnel to correct deficiencies if needed; implement discipline and termination procedures within BVRC policies when necessary.
- Recommend and assist in the implementation of budget goals and objectives; oversee the preparation and administration of the BVRC budget; assist in forecasting funds needed for staffing, equipment, materials, and supplies; monitor and approve expenditures; implement adjustments.
- Maintain financial and accounting records on a computerized system; provide detailed financial information, as necessary.
- Supervise and provide necessary assistance for payroll and accounts payable preparation; invest excess cash for future utilization.
- Serve as staff on a variety of committees; prepare agenda, forms, and reports for assigned Commission committee; prepare and present activity and staff reports and other necessary correspondence for the Executive Director and Commission.
- Provide professional assistance to the Executive Director.
- Maintain control over financial accounts; receive deposits and authorize disbursements; conduct sales and exchanges of securities as well as other investment activities as appropriate; perform bank reconciliations; review and analyze financial statements.
- Principles and practices of accounting, finance, and budget preparation and administration.
- Principles of supervision, training, and performance evaluation.
- Pertinent Federal, State, and local laws, codes and regulations related to financial and budget management.
- Financial and budget report preparation.
- Financial markets and investment principles.
- Methods of financial and economic analysis and forecasting.
- Computer operations in performance of job duties
Education and/or Experience
Any combination of experience and training that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying.
- Four years of increasingly responsible experience in accounting, finance or a related field, including two years of administrative and supervisory responsibility.
- Equivalent to a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in Business Administration, Public Administration, Accounting, Finance, or a related field.
License or Certification
- Possession of, or ability to obtain a valid driver's license may be required.
- Certification as a Public Accountant from the State of Kansas is preferred.
Send cover letter and resume’ to:
Blue Valley Recreation Commission
Attention: Human Resources
6545 West 151st Street
Overland Park, Kansas 66223