GENERAL STATEMENT OF JOB
Oversees, monitors and controls the financial activities of the department and provides administrative support to operational sections.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Directs financial operations for the Water & Sewer Department with an annual budget of $35-$40 Million.
- Oversees and supervises departmental finance and accounting operations, including daily reconciliation of cash drawers for Customer Service section.
- Supervises the activities of the Logistics and Infrastructure Security section, including all departmental purchasing, storeroom, inventory and project costing operations.
- Assists Water & Sewer Director in statistical and financial analysis, research and data compilation.
- Coordinates routine and high level interaction between Water & Sewer and the Finance Office staff of the Okaloosa County Clerk of Court.
- Performs analysis to evaluate alternative methods for financing large capital improvement projects, such as State Revolving Fund loans, sale of revenue bonds, bank qualified loans, grants, etc.
- Works with Rate Consultants and Financial Advisors to assure that rate structure provides sufficient revenue to provide for operations, maintenance, capital outlay, capital improvements and debt service requirements.
- Maintains and updates a system of internal controls to ensure expenses are not in excess of established appropriations.
- Directs the assignment of the accounting numbers as approved in budget guidelines; supervises the cost accounting system to produce costs of construction projects.
- Reviews payroll data; supervises the preparation of payroll reports and special reports.
- Reviews financial statements, statements of receipts and expenses, final payroll journals and other reports with the Director and other operating officials.
- Produces monthly Revenue and Expenditure status reports.
- Consolidates departmental budget requests and prepares annual budgets under the guidance of the Director; maintains communications with the finance department for examining accounts information and other financial and accounting matters. Enters all departmental budget data into the Clerk of Court’s Pentamation computer system.
- Confers and advises operating officials on matters relating to fiscal, administrative and budgetary policy.
- Analyzes and develops systems and methods, such as redesigning financial and accounting processes for improved efficiency.
- Reviews and develops procedures for protecting the department’s assets through study of existing policies regarding risk management, internal controls, inventory controls, payables and debt administration.
- Coordinates year-end activities, including perpetual inventory and fixed asset inventory with internal and external auditing entities in order to minimize risk and maximize accountability.
- Reviews all invoices for accuracy and prepares Payment Approval Forms for approval by Director and then submits forms to the Purchasing department staff, the County Administrator and the Finance Office staff of the Okaloosa County Clerk of Court.
- Produces highly detailed departmental Manning Document quarterly.
- Manages all departmental commercial office and warehouse space at multiple locations.
- Provides management of all departmental contracts and leases.
- Responsible for management of records retention activities.
- Must be able to meet work schedule and attendance standards.
- Performs related duties as required.
MINIMUM TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Business Management, or a closely-related field; supplemented by a minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in accounting, preferably for a municipal or institutional organization; three (3) years of which shall be acquired in a supervisory/management capacity, to include management of complex accounting systems and development of cost efficient accounting systems; or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities. Certified Public Accountant, Certified Public Finance Officer or Certified Government Finance Officer certification is preferred. Must be computer literate. Experience with Microsoft Excel is required. Ability to operate ten key adding machine by touch is required. Experience with SunGard HTE software with Naviline user interface is preferred. Experience with a water and sewer utility preferred. Must possess a valid driver license.