The Accountant III – Research and Reporting position supports the Accounting Division Financial Reporting Manager by providing accounting research and advice and assisting with various financial reporting tasks and projects.
Our ideal candidate is a professional team player with governmental accounting and public pension experience and/or strong knowledge of overall accounting reporting requirements. One who has strong research and technical writing abilities, effective communication skills and is detail-oriented, motivated, adaptable, and open-minded. The ability to work effectively in a deadline driven environment is a must. If you are a dynamic, collaborative professional interested in playing a key role in PERA’s financial reporting and our work to fulfill the retirement expectations of our members, this is a great fit.
- Keeps abreast of emerging accounting, reporting and disclosure standards promulgated by the Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB) and evaluates the impact of emerging standards for presentation to the accounting team and management, as appropriate
- Keeps abreast of new industry developments, regulatory changes, management requirements, accounting system updates, accounting procedures, etc. for presentation to the accounting team and management, as appropriate
- Develops technical communications on a wide-range of financial reporting issues including: PERA’s accounting policies, accounting-based educational publications and responses to inquiries received from stakeholder including but not limited to PERA-affiliated employers and external auditors
- Responsible for monitoring email communications and coordinating responses to employer inquiries
- Assists or takes a lead role in the design, development, testing and implementation of new accounting processes.
- Participates in the planning and execution of activities related to annual reporting as assigned and may include:
- Assisting with the preparation of the Annual Comprehensive Financial Report
- The preparation of the GASB Employer Reports
- The administration of Workiva WDesk
- Develops process enhancements on Workiva WDesk to support the financial reporting process
- Serves as a preparer, reviewer or approver of various financial reporting and defined contribution daily/monthly/annual tasks as assigned
- Communicates and effectively explains complex information both verbally and in writing
- Supports the updating of accounting division policies and procedures
- Manages multiple priorities and meets competing deadlines
- Performs other duties and special projects as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance or other related field; progressive general ledger accounting and/or auditing experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- MBA or related post-graduate degree and/or licensed CPA preferred
- Experience with public pension, finance, or government accounting preferred
- Knowledge of accounting and financial reporting requirements (GASB and GFOA)
- Strong technical writing abilities and organizational skills
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Mathematical, analytical, and problem solving skills with attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to analyze complex financial reports and systems
- Demonstrated knowledge of accounting software; experience working with PeopleSoft Financials, nVision and Workiva preferred
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Excel preferred
- Ability to work effectively both independently and within a team environment
- Strong organizational skills
- Standard office environment with regular computer and telephone use
- Occasionally lift, move, or carry materials up to, and in excess of 20 pounds
JOB DESCRIPTION DISCLAIMER:
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of an employee.
Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change or new ones may be assigned with or without notice.
Complete the employment application online at https://www.copera.org/careers. Please have copies of your resume and cover letter available to upload. Please review the following questions.
You will be asked for a response to these as part of your application:
- Describe your experience with researching, documenting and/or implementing new accounting standards.
- Describe your knowledge of governmental accounting and public pension accounting.
- Describe your career progression and how you believe this position would contribute to your career goals.
ABOUT COLORADO PERA
As Colorado's largest public pension plan, we are committed to providing retirement and other benefits to more than 600,000 current and former teachers, State Troopers, corrections officers, snowplow drivers, and many other public employees who provide valuable service to all of Colorado.
We hire exceptional employees and invest in their growth and development. We are passionate about our work and committed to serving our members by delivering quality customer service, sound investment decisions, and education programs. Our culture is built on the core values of integrity and accountability, excellence and initiative, collaboration, and engagement. We value diverse perspectives and recognize that our people are our primary asset. We provide a healthy work-life balance and a culture where excellence is rewarded. At PERA, your work makes a difference every day.
At PERA, you will earn more than just a paycheck- our total rewards package is focused on wellbeing. We offer a comprehensive benefit plan including Health, Dental and Vision coverage, with eligibility for most plans being the first of the month following the date of hire. We offer a generous paid time off plan as well as paid volunteer hours, PERAs defined benefit plan, 401(k) and 457 defined contribution plans (including employer match on the 401(k), as applicable), tuition assistance, on-the-job training, free access to an on-site fitness center, free on-site parking or RTD subsidy, and more. For more information, please visit www.copera.org/careers.
Position Title: Accountant III - Research and Reporting
Reports to: Financial Reporting Manager
Job Status: Full Time / Exempt
Salary: $69,900 - $88,000 per year, Commensurate with experience
Posting Dates: 12/3/2021 - 12/27/2021