About Our Job
US News & World Reported that Sarasota, Florida is the number 1 place in Florida and Number 16 in the country for best places to live. We need your help to create wonderful experiences for residents and vacationing guests navigating Sarasota. We have an opening, and you can join this dedicated high-performing team of County professionals.
This is a professional, managerial position which manages all the functions of the Public Utilities Finance division and assigned personnel. Responsibilities include operational oversight, strategic planning, budget preparation, development/maintenance of rate and financial forecast models, direct supervision of employees, performance management, recruitment, interviewing, employee relations, employee development, productivity and efficiency, citizen and community relations, communications, assigned projects or programs and development and implementation of policies and procedures. The focus of this position is on operational management with both long and short-range assignments. This position reports to the Public Utilities Business Operations Manager.
- Manages and oversees the activities of the Public Utilities Finance Division. Responsible for direct supervision of employees, promoting trustworthy working relationships, performance management, recruitment, interviewing, employee relations, employee development, productivity and efficiency, citizen and community relations, communications, assigned projects or programs and development and implementation of policies and procedures.
- Provides enterprise fund leadership and fiscal related guidance to the Director and Operational Managers in the Public Utilities Department for the development of financial plans related to rate and fee structure, short and long term capital related budgeting, debt service, fund balance management and special projects, including, but not limited to, financial planning; financial modeling; revenue and expenditure projections; budget monitoring; capital projects coordination and associated funding recommendations; management of debt obligations including recommendations for new revenue bonds, bank loans, State Revolving Fund loans or other types of debt and the refunding or defeasance of existing revenue bonds, bank loans, State Revolving Fund loans or other types of debt.
- Coordinates the collection and dissemination of Public Utilities system information in the Official Statements associated with issuing new revenue bonds; reviews debt recommendations and debt analyses provided by the County’s Financial Advisor or as submitted by other independent financial firms; manages the development of rate analyses and related rate recommendations; actively participates in large contract negotiations.
- Participates in the annual strategic and business planning efforts, and the development of the operating and capital improvement project budgets, including recommendations regarding large, multi-year projects.
- Manages proactive assessments of fraud awareness, prevention, detection and risk mitigation activities in area of responsibility; oversees financial, compliance, operational and performance audits; reviews audit findings and ensures appropriate controls are established and implemented.
Work Hours: Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- A Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university in Business Administration, Finance, Accounting or related field and four (4) years of job-related experience. An Associate’s Degree from an accredited college or university and six (6) years of job-related experience. Two or more years of supervisory experience required. Year-for-year experience may substitute for the college degree.
- Advanced professional certification highly desirable. Utility accounting experience in a government environment and/or utility rate model experience.
- Knowledge of governmental budgeting with ability to read, analyze and interpret financial reports, legislation/statutes, debt rating surveillances and legal documents. Knowledge of utility rate structures and ability to manage rate models. Ability to complete complex and difficult assignments. Ability to collect, compile, analyze and interpret data including strong quantitative analysis capability. Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing to various groups at all levels of the organization. Knowledge of principles of cost benefit analysis models and application to government business practices. Proficient in the use of Word Excel, rate model software applications, Smartsheet, project management software applications.
Subject to Passing Substance Screening:
- This position is subject to passing a pre-employment substance screening. An applicant who fails to pass a required drug screening test shall be disqualified from employment in any class for a period of five (5) years.