The purpose of this position is to provide an independent, objective, and comprehensive auditing program for operations of the city; evaluate the adequacy of financial controls, records, and operations and the effectiveness and efficiency of organizational operations; and provide the City Manager, CFO, management, and employees objective analyses, appraisals, and recommendations for improving systems and activities.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Plans audits in accordance with accepted professional standards. This typically includes reviewing prior audit work, reports, applicable policies, procedures, and regulations; risk assessment; developing an audit program for review and approval by the CFO; evaluating fraud risk; researching and documenting internal controls and efficiency of operations; and researching best practices or industry criteria for audit measurement.
- Develop annual audit plans.
- Performs audits through a combination of the following activities: interviewing personnel; assessing internal controls; reviewing and verifying processes; performing data mining and analytics; communicating clearly and concisely with management through different mediums; maintaining objectivity; building secure relationships with clients to ensure information accuracy; and handling high pressure situations and meetings.
- Reports audit results by documenting audit findings; making recommendations for corrective action; writing an initial draft of the audit report; clearing audit notes from management’s review; discussing audit results, findings and recommendations with audited management; and performing annual audit follow-ups.
- Communicates audit findings and recommendations to client at all levels in the organization in person and via written report to management, staff and, if needed, Council. Ensures written reports meet the needs of internal and external stakeholders.
- Handles special projects and administrative functions by providing external audit support; researching and drafting responses related to the fraud hotline; contributing potential projects for annual audit planning; status reporting; project management; and attending staff meetings and team building activities.
- Communicates with key stakeholders on the audit process; meets with department managers to develop professional relationships, improve idea sharing, support client and audit goals and objectives.
- Attends professional development and training by maintaining professional certifications; remaining current in accounting, auditing and fraud examination theory and practices; and participating in local professional associations and continuing professional education.
For more information about the position please go to: https://bouldercolorado.gov/human-resources/city-jobs.