Best Practices and Strategies for Public Investing
Field of Study
Treasury and Investment Management
Offered Both as Group-Live Class and E-Learning Opportunity
8 (Group-Live) / 9 (E-Learning)
This course offers attendees a comprehensive agenda of the concepts and techniques needed to effectively manage their investment portfolios.
This two-day course highlights the importance for governmental entities to have a robust investment policy and corresponding procedures, and brings attention to GFOA’s best practices related to investing.
Through interactive activities and classroom presentations, attendees will gain a better understanding of the various elements of an investment program, whether the portfolio is managed internally or externally. Topics covered include: cash flow forecasting, hiring and managing external professionals, types of investments commonly used in the public sector, investment strategies for liquidity and core investment funds, managing risks, benchmarking, and reporting.
Those who successfully complete this seminar should be able to:
- Understand the key components of an investment policy
- Develop an approach to cash flow forecasting and understand how that leads to investment decisions
- Identify the key factors involved in hiring and managing external investment professionals
- Gain a better understanding of risks related to investing and learn about tools to manage these risks
- Learn how to approach the multifaceted segments of Investment Strategies
- Learn how to choose the right benchmarking standard for your portfolios
Who Will Benefit
Schedule and Sample Agenda
Note: Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, GFOA has cancelled all Group-Live training events through September 2021.
This course is taught by finance officers and other industry experts.