March 9-12, 2021
8:30 a.m.-1 p.m. ETHouston, TX (Hyatt Regency Houston/Galleria) 2626 Sage Rd
- Credits: 30
- Status: This event has availability.
GFOA’s Budget Academy is a multi-day course that focuses on skills and techniques critical to a public sector budget analyst, specifically targeted to newer analysts with three years or less experience in budgeting. Using a combination of lectures, discussions, and exercises, the course will provide an overview of the budget development process, including best practices and techniques required in effective budgeting. Participants will also have an opportunity to network with colleagues to share best practices and to discuss budgeting challenges.
- Learn basic accounting principles and how they relate to the budget
- Identify components of a chart of accounts and their relationship to budgeting
- Understand the importance of long-term strategic planning and the impact it has on service levels, budgeting, and financial management
- Learn how to perform basic revenue and expenditure analysis and to identify structural balance
- Develop operating and capital budget preparation and analysis skills
- Gain an understanding of the link between the capital and operating budgets
- Learn how to foster an effective working relationship between central budget and operating departments
- Identify methods to evaluate and to monitor budgetary performance
- Learn how to communicate and present budget information effectively for various stakeholders
- Member Price: $1330.00
- Non-member Price: $1815.00