CLOSE DATE: August 19, 2022
The Atlanta Regional Commission (ARC) is the regional planning and intergovernmental coordination agency that focuses on issues critical to the region’s success, including growth and development, transportation, water resources, services for older adults and workforce solutions. ARC is dedicated to unifying the region’s collective resources to prepare the metropolitan area for a prosperous future. This is done through professional planning initiatives, the provision of objective information and the involvement of the community in collaborative partnerships.
ARC has a budget of in excess of $100 million ($5.2 General Fund and $94.8 Special and Enterprise Revenue), and an employee count of approximately 200 Full Time Equivalent Employees. The Commission’s workforce is comprised of subject-matter experts across the various disciplines under ARC’s purview. ARC is responsible for developing and updating the Atlanta Region’s Plan, a long-range blueprint which details investments needed to ensure metro Atlanta’s future success and improve the region’s quality of life.
We are seeking a highly qualified professional with a breadth of relevant experience and a track record of success for the position of Chief Financial Officer (CFO). The CFO will provide executive leadership and managerial oversight for all budget, financial management and administration, accounting, grant services, and acquisition services for day-to-day operations, including internal auditing functions and overseeing compliance with budgetary and accounting activities across the agency, and management and oversight for asset management at the enterprise level.
Additionally, the CFO administers and manages the agency financial affairs in compliance with laws and regulations and in conformity with generally accepted accounting principles, oversees and directs the Atlanta Regional Commission’s short and long-term financial goals and financial well-being, ensures timely completion and reporting, and will prepare the Agency’s annual budget. This position will report directly to the Executive Director.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Leads and directs the enterprise Finance and Accounting operations, which includes treasury, budgeting, strategic forecasting, audit, tax, accounting, financial reporting, inventory and costing and asset management;
- Serves as a part of the Executive Leadership Team; acts as a sounding board to the Executive Director, building trust as well as giving both reasoned advice and honest feedback;
- Partners with other departments in identifying strategic opportunities to improve revenue/cash flow;
- Assists Executive Director and Board of Commission in developing, monitoring, and evaluating overall corporate strategy, including taking a lead role in the long-term planning and execution, creating metrics and other measures to track progress to the plan and strategies, providing periodic overviews to Executive Director and Boards/Committees on Agency’s performance and balancing the needs of the Agency and regional plans;
- Develops procedures and provides support in the development and maintenance of accurate costs and margin analyses;
- Internal consultant or advisor to a variety of different stakeholders;
- Coordinates with the Executive Director and/or Chairman on financial Strategies to facilitate revenue growth;
- Evaluates systems and leads ERP implementation project and other systems;
- Manages and coordinates with external accounting firms to ensure regulatory compliance;
- Monitors the general economic, business, and financial conditions and analyzes their impact on the Agency and its operations;
- Supports Agency’s succession planning and talent development strategies; evaluates individual and team needs, creates development plans/goals, and provides ongoing feedback and monitoring;
- Oversees all audit and regulatory requirements and ensure that all data and documents are available for inspection by appropriate parties;
- Perform other duties as assigned to support agency goals and objectives.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND COMPETENCIES:
- Knowledge of accounting, financial analysis, and data analysis;
- Knowledge of fiscal management and control principles and treasury management practices;
- Knowledge of Government/Financial Accounting Standards Boards (GASB/FASB), and Government Finance Officers Association (GFOA) standards, practices, policies, rules, and regulatory reporting requirements;
- Proven ability to provide sound and ethical financial guidance to leadership;
- Develop a team that is highly competent, business-minded, growth-oriented, diverse, and inclusive, and motivated;
- Excellent analytical and financial modeling skills;
- Ability to work in collaboration with other team members, supervisors, and the agency;
- Excellent organizational, communication and facilitation skills;
- Strong analytical skills needed to synthesize large quantities of data, identify trends and drivers, and distill them into insightful analysis for senior management;
- Key capabilities and competencies include attention to detail, initiative, communication, analytical skills, relationship management, consultation, critical evaluation, leadership and navigation, ethical practice;
- Ability to build partnerships, influence decisions, work in a collaborative style, and become a sought-out financial business partner;
- Ability to manage and direct a group of workers; ability to supervise, counsel and mediate; ability to persuade, convince, influence and train others;
- Ability to maintain discretion and highest professional standards while working with confidential information;
- Passion for driving and delivering results to provide valuable performance analysis and reporting on a timely basis to help facilitate decision-making;
- Act as an advocate and role model for understanding cost drivers and cost control;
- Creative thinker who promotes communication, fosters teamwork across the organization, and achieves consensus via excellent interpersonal skills;
- Monitoring and interpret financial documents, and assuring compliance with all regulatory requirements governing public sector financial activities;
- Directing staff, delegating tasks and authority, and coaching to improve staff performance;
- Proficient in standard office equipment, Microsoft Office Suite, including Excel and financial software applications and systems.
- Master’s Degree in Accounting or Finance or related field
- CPA certified
- 10 + years' progressive experience at an executive accounting and finance level
- 5 years of significant management and supervisory experience in a leadership role for a similar or comparable municipal, county, or regional agency
- Experience in grants management
- Experience working with, and presenting to, Advisory Board and Leadership Team
- Experience in managing Technology and Asset management services
An equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above, unless otherwise subject to any other requirements set forth in law or regulation.
- Completion of GFOA certification program
- Experience in Deltek CostPoint System
SALARY AND BENEFITS
The target salary range for this position is $190,000-$230,000 (No SS deductions except for Medicare portion, approx. 1.45% of salary). ARC offers an excellent and comprehensive benefits package including, but not limited to health, dental and vision insurance, paid holidays, sick leave, up to 4 weeks of annual leave per year, and defined benefit pension and contribution retirement plan.
Employment in this position is contingent upon consent to and successful completion of a pre-employment background check, which may include a criminal background check, reference checks, verification of work history, and verification of any required academic credentials, licenses, and/or certifications. Background check information will be used in a confidential, non-discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal law.
ARC is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion or disability in employment or the provision of services.