Town of Simsbury
TITLE: Accountant GRADE: A2-B
DEPARTMENT: Finance DATE: March 23, 2020
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
The Accountant maintains general and subsidiary ledgers, accounting records, grants, assists with accounts payable and payroll processes, reconciles bank statements, and prepares financial statements. The position works under the general supervision and direction of the Director of Finance or Assistant Finance Director as assigned.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Assists in the preparation of the Annual Comprehensive Financial Report (ACFR), Official Statements (OS), and other financial statements and reports.
- Assists with the preparation of the annual budget.
- Assists with bidding and purchasing processes.
- Assists in Capital Project budgeting, monitoring and reporting.
- Insures appropriate grant accounting and prepares required grant reports.
- Monitors banking transactions.
- Prepares and reviews journal entries as needed.
- Conducts financial research and analysis related to debt issuance, projects, programs, ordinance development, policies, and strategic planning.
- Performs a variety of daily, monthly, and annual reconciliations.
- Monitors and reports on the financial performance of a variety of funds and investment vehicles.
- Prepares technical work related to conducting internal audits within the Town as directed.
- Monitors financial and other internal controls for compliance and improvement.
- Performs periodic physical inspections of town fixed assets.
- Maintains inventory of town-owned equipment, furnishings and other properties through the automated fixed assets system.
- Reviews purchase orders and ensures adherence to Town procurement policy.
- Maintains inventory of motor vehicles, title and registration information, license plates.
- Provides back-up support and coverage for payroll, accounts payable, and other areas as needed.
- Helps prepare materials for Board and Committee packets.
- Supports Board of Education with financial services as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of municipal accounting principles and procedures.
- Knowledge of State and Federal laws and regulations relating to accounting and auditing procedures.
- Knowledge of modern principles and practices of finance administration
- Ability to prepare accurate and complete reports in a timely manner.
- Plans and organizes work according to established or standard office procedures.
- Ability to handle and process high volumes of paperwork accurately and efficiently and establish and maintain complex files, record system and computer databases.
- Ability to perform complex mathematical computations.
- Ability to work effectively with staff, superiors and the general public.
REQUIRED PHYSICAL AND MENTAL EFFORT AND ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS:
- Must be able to sit at a desk or stand and work continuously for extended periods of time.
- Ability to file letters, correspondence, reports, etc. in file cabinet drawers ranging from 1’ to 7’ from the floor.
- Works in office setting subject to continuous interruptions.
- Includes exposure to video display terminals on a daily basis.
- Must be able to work under stress from demanding deadlines and changing priorities and conditions.
- Stands, sits and walks extended periods of time; bends and reaches to file records, correspondence, reports, etc.
REQUIRED EQUIPMENT OPERATIONS:
- Operates standard office equipment, including but not limited to a personal computer, fax, copier and telephone.
REQUIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting and 2 years of accounting experience or an Associate’s Degree and four (4) years of accounting experience. CPA and municipal experience desirable.
- The incumbent in the position is occasionally expected to attend early morning, evening and weekend meetings and events as needed in support of the work of assigned Town Committees, Commissions, and Boards.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license.
Note: The above description is illustrative of tasks and responsibilities. It is not meant to be all-inclusive of every task or responsibility.