The City of Lenexa is currently accepting applications for an Accounting Specialist that is detail oriented and enjoys governmental accounting to join our team. The ideal candidate will:
- be able to meet deadlines on time
- be a team player willing to assist and support others
- have strong communication skills
- be organized, and able to prioritize tasks
- have strong computer skills
If you have experience in accounting and you are looking for a job where you will be supported, apply today and join our team!
This is specialized accounting work involving city wide financial operations. These responsibilities include accounts payable, payroll, vendor file maintenance, travel authorizations and journal entries to the general ledger. This includes preparation of various financial internal and external reports and documents as needed. Work is performed in accordance with general instructions following accepted general accounting procedures, applicable laws and City policies under the supervision of the Accounting Manager. Work is reviewed upon completion and requires a high level of accuracy.
- Verify, review and process all accounts payable invoices in the financial system and processing the payments through ACH or check. Includes reviewing invoices for payment for appropriate general ledger coding and process various 1099 forms to vendors at end of year.
- Process payroll for all employee earnings based on submitted hours balanced by departments and process the bi-weekly payroll interface to the general ledger. Ensures payroll process conforms to City policies and procedures as well as all State and Federal laws and regulations.
- Processes payroll benefit payments to outside agencies such as KPERS. Ensures everything is accurate and completed in a timely manner.
- Maintain vendor file including establishing new accounts, auditing for duplicate vendors, requesting and obtaining W-9 forms and setting up direct deposit payments.
- Provide customer service to outside vendors and internal departments in regards to payment and invoice processing.
- Review travel authorizations for accuracy and conformance to city policies and procedures.
- Train new employees purchasing and purchasing card policies and procedures.
- Post all payment transactions to financial system. Prepares journal entries and reconciles account balances with appropriate records.
- Trained as backup support for other Finance positions
- Assist in the preparation of audit schedules and annual ACFR
- Minimum: Associates degree in accounting, finance, or a related field, and one to two years of increasingly responsible accounting experience including general accounting, accounts payable, payroll, and governmental accounting.
- Desired: Accounts payable certification. Previous payroll processing experience and certifications.
Compensation and Benefits
Hiring range is from $42,875 to $52,415 dependent on qualifications and directly related experience. The City of Lenexa offers a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Low-cost premiums for medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Free or low-cost on-site medical clinic
- 4% employer retirement contribution with optional 2% match
- 10 paid holidays per year
- Minimum 2 weeks of vacation during first year
- Paid sick leave and personal leave (bonus personal leave during first year)
- Six weeks of paid parental leave
- City-paid short-term and long-term disability plans
- Tuition reimbursement up to $3,500 per year
- Free membership to the Lenexa Rec Center
Working for the City of Lenexa is more than a job. You will be trained, supported and valued. You’ll make a difference in the community, work alongside talented people, have leadership support, and work in a stable and positive work environment. We value work-life balance and will give you the resources to succeed in your position.
Offers of employment are conditional upon successful completion of pre-employment physical, drug screen and background check.
To apply complete an online application. Please attach both your resume AND cover letter. Applications will be reviewed as they are received.
As an equal opportunity employer, the City of Lenexa strives to treat all employees fairly, with consistency and respect, while providing a positive, challenging and rewarding work environment. We value and encourage diversity in our workplace.